Agnostic.com

0 0

An Unmarried Woman on DVD. God, Clayburgh was gorgeous. I've seen it probably twice before and I think it holds up. Good one. Not perfect. It's flawed, to use the daughter's fella's term re Wertmuller, in re the therapist and also Erica's group of woman friends. With the former, the contrast between her appearance and Clayburgh's is jarring; a distraction from the intended meanings of her scenes. As for the latter, I just don't see Erica as fitting in with them. As Pauline Kael pointed out, she's Vassar and they're a bunch of wisecracking dames from the MGM class of '39. Or, I don't know, maybe Warner Bros, also '39.

The narrative arc of AUW is quite similar to that of Alice Doesn't Live Here Any More, although, having very different settings, neither film would likely be mistaken for the other. I don't know if Mazursky would have seen Alice when he wrote AUW.

The commentaries and interviews are interesting. Mazursky speaks of the realistic treatment of nudity he and other directors were allowed in the seventies, in contrast to the huge battleground it later became, with actresses pulling sheets up over themselves while purportedly in bed with their husbands, and leaving their brassieres on during what is alleged to be wild sex. People might think of the seventies as a time when feminism was on the march, but it never went away (I'm not implying that it should have), and it's taken some weird twists and turns since then.

I want to see or re-see more of Clayburgh's films just to look at her, but I'd probably draw the line at Gable and Lombard. Now, GRABLE and Lombard, as per a Saturday Night sketch when Clayburgh hosted, could have been interesting.

AlanCliffe 6 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:583552