Agnostic.com

2 0

Hair of the dog tail.

Imagine if you will that there is a dog in the nighttime and it doesn't bark when something happens. Furthermore, imagine that you were that dog and could follow the clues to sniff out what happened. Holmes was home relaxing and thought of a number.

He considered it for a moment and then he squared it and added one, as can often happen. Next he added twice the original number to the tally.

Feeling somewhat exhilarated he put down his pipe and exponentiated the lot to the power 0.5 after which he subtracted the original number. Then, but only then, he deducted two and derived the square root of the remainder.

In his astonishment he exclaimed, "Watson come quickly and look at this", all that was left was the equivalent of a letter he had addressed to himself earlier that same day.

What was the name of the dog and what did the letter say?

waitingforgodo 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

OK, so I think, from the maths alone, that the letter which he addressed to himself was " i ", but am at a loss as to the name of the dog, unless it was "me" or Holmes, since " instruction to rotate ninety degrees ", would be a strange name for a dog.

Just you and i, now that is curious.

@waitingforgodo A lot of people think that maths is boring sadly, I blame the education system.

@Fernapple e^(i*pi) +1 means nothing to me.

@waitingforgodo I'm no good at it either, but I do find it interesting. And sometimes beautiful.

@Fernapple that's a transposition of Euler's Identity into a joke from his e^(i*pi) = -1 which is putatively the fave equation of mathematicians. I'm with you on the truth and beauty.

@waitingforgodo You got me there, I did not notice the - for +.

The name of the dog was god, because that is dog backwards and the whole leads backwards, and the letter said nothing.

No and no, it's a maths and logic question, but thank you for the attempt.

@waitingforgodo Will look at it again tonight when I have more time.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:584864
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.