Agnostic.com

0 0

LINK In Finland, Students Get Free Meals So They Don’t Have to Learn Hungry

I recall during a floor debate in Congress over the school lunch program, a congressman remarked, "I don’t want to feed children so they’ll do better in school. I want to feed them because they are hungry."

:-----:

"If there’s something the Finnish welfare state is known for, even in comparison to the other Nordic welfare states, it’s education. Finland’s PISA scores have been world-class for years, and the northern country’s education system has featured in countless gushing articles and academic studies. It’s even received visits from foreign educators who wish to emulate its success.

However, testing and scores are not all it has to offer. The Finnish education system is a holistic entity, of which school meals are an essential part. Finland was among the world’s pioneers of free school meals and today provides them to around nine hundred thousand children between the ages of six and sixteen.

“In a way, free school meals are a good symbol for the Finnish welfare state. It is a universal benefit that is useful for everyone, and crucial for some. The welfare of Finland relies heavily on education and knowledge.” This is the opinion of the man in charge of these policies — Finland’s education minister Jussi Saramo of the Left Allian

“Today all pupils and students attending pre-primary, basic, and upper secondary education are entitled to a free-of-charge, full meal,” Saramo continues. “The school meal is seen as an essential part of a child’s wellbeing and growth, and a balanced school meal is more than just nutrition: it sustains the ability to study and increases students’ awareness and knowledge of food and nutrition.”"

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587924