Agnostic.com

17 4

I’ve seen a handful of posts asking how people respond when theists say “I’ll pray for you” and there’s often comments that suggest thanking them so as not to be rude.
A lot of people point out that theists mean well, so we should not hurt their feelings.

This Harris meme got me thinking..
If they instead said, “I’ll pray into my hair dryer for you” would you thank them?
Think about this..
Would you not be puzzled and maybe feel compelled to help these people?
Maybe gently nudge them in a better cognitive direction somehow?

Why are we thanking people or enabling their illusory interpretations of reality in any way at all? Why are their feelings more important than the fact that this deluded way of thinking is thwarting our ability to advance?
If we do and say nothing, are we not standing on the side of the oppressor?

With no expectation of instant gratification, wouldn’t it behoove humanity as a whole if we at least stopped thanking them and instead said no thanks?
Plant a seed somehow?
Indifference and enabling REALLY make me uncomfortable, apparently.. lol
What say you?

AMGT 8 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

that explains ConAir.

I usually say something like don’t worry about it

Strangers are one thing, but I tend to just thank them and move on my way. I really do believe they are thinking they are doing a good thing, and really, it's rare that I've had a stranger say that to me.

On the other hand, my mother is Catholic. She's not constantly proselytizing, but she attends mass regularly. She knows I'm an atheist, and she's really kind of ambivalent about it (which makes me question her true belief, but whatever). She has told me once or twice in my life that she prays for me at church. Fine, it's my mom. Moms want what's best for you and for you to be safe and happy. If she thinks praying for me will help, then that's on her. I don't try to force her to believe what I believe, she doesn't try to force me to believe what she believes. What harm is done?

I don't feel that it is enabling them as it is a way of life for the religious. Whether or not they pray for you in particular isn't going to change the fact that they are going to pray for something regardless. Personally it doesn't bother me as they mean well and it's just their equivalent of 'keeping you in their thoughts'. And, yeah, you can be rude to them. But, all that will accomplish is making them relate all atheists to being rude or pompous. I chose to be gracious and compassionate as to let them know that atheists aren't as bad as we are made out to be. Be the better person.

"No thanks" Is exactly how I answered that question yesterday when someone here asked how we respond to that phrase. 🙂

If anyone offered to pray for me I think I'd have to ask why. I'm a bit sarcastic when it comes to dealing with people's delusions

I know how I would feel if I told someone I hope they feel better or that they are in my thoughts and they would tell me what good will that do? I like how in obituaries they will say something like, instead of flowers please make a donation to a charity. If I were posting something that would compel a lot of prayers I think ending the post with please donate to a charity might be helpful.

So this woman tells me she's gonna pray for me, and I said, " Awww. That's so...pointless." She didn't talk to me anymore. Yay.

It depends on the context. If it is used as an underhanded disrespectful manner "you're not good enough", response back with "No, I will pray for you." Likewise, you can use the pre-emptive strike... "This is not going anywhere, I will just pray for you." LOL

I have never hesitated to tell them something like this: "Please, don't pray for me. It would make me feel better if you did something constructive with your time rather than making yourself feel good for saying something and doing nothing at all." The structure varies for differing circumstances, of course.

Millions have suffered and many have died while thoughts that counted were offered up. This 'pray for you' nonsense is self serving and my supporting their fantasies I would suggest to you is more cruel than calling them on it because it gives tacit approval to their delusions. Think about this, these well meaning folks are the same ones who think you are going to burn in hell forever and ever until the end of fucking time, so what sort of convoluted thinking must take place in their minds to offer to pray for you? These are the same people who think the LGBTQ folks don't have equal rights, tell us that evolution is a lie, and on and on, and you think calling them out in some way or another is cruel?

I don't care if people want to pray for me or meditate on me as long as they don't try to lead me to the baby Jesus. I do believe in positive or healing vibrations so if an otherwise well meaning person regardless their belief system want to send up positive thoughts into the Universe then I have no problem with that - and if it is judgmental thoughts then that's OK too because no one is listening.

Yes, as you say… “gently”. But it’s not easy to tamper with anybody’s foundational philosophies without triggering a defensive shut-down. If they are to be moved at all by our nudge, there must be a pretty genuine bond of trust between the two people. If such a bond doesn’t happen to be already in place, it takes time and effort to build.

So our choice becomes whether to further harden the person’s existing defense mechanism or to invest major blocks of time over the course of… probably years, relationship-building; noble, but not always affordable.

I try to show appreciation for the intended good will, and make a mental note to watch for future opportunities to build relational trust, if I have time. I'm not sure how much responsibility I have to try to "fix" people, but I think trust-building may be more effective, in the long run, than confrontation.

skado Level 9 Nov 30, 2017

There are people who mean it kindly and there are people who use it as a passive aggressive attack. Tolerating other's people's beliefs is a relatively important thing in the world, if you ask me...and even if you don't. They are just words. And if they have no meaning to you, why do you care? If you are strong in your belief system, it probably doesn't matter. Now, the passive aggressive folk who use it as an attack are just being asshats. For those folk, I just say,"I will have my Satanists friends pray for you, too. What was your name again?" Precious.

AMGT, I am sure the person on the other side of this prayer issue thinks the same of you. Godless heathens are the cause of all...blah blah blah....haha...people have the right to believe whatever the hell they want to, and I think it makes for an interesting existence. I would argue, probably successfully, that some people need religion, as we all have crutches we use to get through this life. Speaking of which, I need more coffee.

Prayer comes in many forms, I’m sure many would define what I do on a yoga mat as prayer, many start each yoga practice with an intention which could be construed as prayer. When I say “namaste” which loosely means “the light in me honors the light in you” can be interpreted as prayer. Collectively I look at prayer as sending good vibes and if someone wants to send some my way I would consider it an asshole move to say “no thanks.” What could you possibly have to gain from that kind of exchange?

I am not as adamant as some. I recently took a friend to a religious healing shrine here in Northern New Mexico. He was very anxious about an upcoming surgery that may or may not have helped him with horrible debilitating pain and loss of motor function of his arms. It was full tilt juju with sacred dirt to rub on yourself for healing. I did that for him. He was finally able to decide to go through with the surgery and was not afraid. I am ok with that. Might only be sideways related to your question but this is what came to mind

I will continue to thank those that mean well. While I don’t believe as they do, it comes from a good place. Isn’t my ‘I will think about you’ the same? Not all prayer is for your soul. Sometimes Granny just wants you to be happy. Or maybe Mother wants you to feel better about your job interview. And sometimes it’s your kid hoping you come out of surgery.

My disbelief in their god doesn’t gain or lose strength with the addition of the hair dryer, as I view the hair dryer equal to a cross—they are just things. And if we were conditioned from birth that the hair dryer was normal, it would be. Wouldn’t it?

I typically say 'that's nice for you'. Never a thanks is given.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5880
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.