Agnostic.com

2 2

Did you witness this historic event?

I did when boy. Only my witnessing was only aural listening to the radio. Little did I think that I would read of this 60th anniversary & new book.

‘Beyond’: UK author presents ‘exciting’ new book on Yuri Gagarin at Russian embassy in London, 60yrs since 1st manned space flight [rt.com]

FrayedBear 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am too young, but I did witness the first moon landing and read about Yuri Gagarin with breathless wonder as a boy.
The shame being that in a plot worthy of a Dan Brown novel, once the USSR fell it was revealed Gagarin's achievement turned out to be possibly a propaganda exercise to cover the fact that Vladimir Ilyushin in the 'Rossiya' spacecraft was actually the first man to orbit earth in space but had died during his return to earth, five days before Vostok "1" was launched.
Ilyushin purportedly died in a car crash on the same day Rossiya was tracked by French military radar returning to earth.
To this day Russia insist that Rossiya was unmanned and that the credit go to Gagarin, undoubtedly time will tell.

And if the yanks hadn't started the cold war there would have been no need for such doubt.

@altschmerz Interesting, seems the story keeps changing, seems now he did not die in 1961, but crashed in China, and spent some time there in a coma, but re-emerged some time later as the founder the Soviet Rugby Federation in 1967.
Still fascinating story nonetheless, thanks very much for the extra information.

Yes I can just remember it. Yuri was a global hero, in a way which transcended politics. So sad that he died so young.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.