Agnostic.com

33 3

How do you react to someone telling you to have a blessed day?

Rdurham 5 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember a janitor who worked at my last job who seemed to have some kind of obsession with his religious beliefs. I think he may have had some sort of mental impairment or dysfunction. Anyway, this guy would use the breakroom phone when we were all in there to talk to some church hotline on speaker and rant to this guy about the wonders of his god and such. It got annoying. Something else he would do was try to fist bump everyone he walked by and say "Power of god". I silently tolerated this but had a bad day and quipped to him as he went in for the fist bump and said "Hail satan!". He never bothered me again.

That's a good one!

I tell them thank you, and move on. Getting into it with them over two simple words, only helps to perpetuate the stereotype of the "angry atheist." You generally won't change their mind, and you won't feel that good if you get into it with them.

Context is important. I usually just say, "Have a good day," or, "You too," in return, but if they're being snide about it I'll respond with, "Have an empirically pleasant afternoon," or "May the force be with you." The latter is my go-to when someone says, "God bless you," at the booth.

I think it's their version of have a nice day.... but better! So I always say THANKS but I neeeeever say it back. That would be fake as hell. Literally. ????????

I 100% agree with you on never saying it back. A thank you is more honest, and I'm not thanking them for the blessing I'm thanking them for their concern and their positive intentions.

I try not to visibly cringe at the word 'blessed' and I remind myself that the person who has wished this upon me is well-intended. I'll usually say "you too" in order not to seem rude---and then I let it go.

I just say thanks,or enjoy your day too. I hear that statement at least once a day probably.

I hear it 100 times a day at my job. Everything from having a blessed day to amen to that. Just in my department, we have three ministers working as salespeople, and I know of a dozen more in other departments.

I usually will say, "enjoy your day also." I don't see a reason to get into a debate, argument or insult them for being religious.

I take it in the manner intended. It's like someone blessing me when I sneeze. I don't take it as anything but someone trying to be polite.

I LOVE "May the Force be with you" ! I'm stealing it!

Haha, I've used "May the Force be with you" in the past also.

At least they aren't offering to pray for me. When I was a teenager I used to smile say "satan loves you too!".

Doom&gloom pumpkin

I work in retail and get this from time to time. I usually just say thank you and move on. No need to say anything. To them it’s just a nice gesture.

I don't put on my sparring gloves unless I'm being attacked. If they intend to be helpful or supportive, then I just thank them and move on.

i just accept the sentiment and move on, no point in making a big deal about it

i accept that it is their way of saying have a good day. so i go continue to have a good day

Enjoy your day or have a good day. How does one feel blessed?

Tell them thank you and you as well.

I don't mind it at all. But "I will pray for you" argh

DeiP Level 5 Oct 2, 2017

I just say, "I accept" & wish them the same. To me it's the same as wishing someone Well. Religion is not needed for that????

I thank them and tell them to have a wonderful day. If I want people to respect my lack of believing in a God, I feel I need to do the same to them.

I thank them then respond by saying have a good day I maybe an atheist but I still respect peoples beliefs.

I say thank you. They are being kind in their personal way. Kindness is never unwelcome.

Basicly takling to beliver that really have no idea of what most of the stuff that comes out of there mounth means.
I have kinda come to a conclusiion of what blessing mean...

There god someone how see you as special and that you have been giving there blessing.. again what in the hell does that mean...

It all complete nosense ...
sense the jews are the only people is man and god cares about...

I agree with you but I also think being blessed doesn't necessarily have to do anything with a diety. For example I feel blessed that I have the family that I have doesn't mean blessed by God I guess it's kinda like being lucky. Have a blessed (good things coming your way) day!

It's pretty much the same as saying "Have a good/great day." I send the same back to them. If someone wished me well in another language I would reply in kind also.

I believe the word blessed as used in the bible has the connotation of joy and happiness. When believers use it they are paying respect to their superstition that happiness comes from God alone so it's their way of professing their faith as much or even more than it is a wish for you to have a happy day. Either way it's meant to be a spiritual well wishing so ... you could respond:
"May honesty brighten your road and science lighten your load" ... or "thanks, you too". ??

Gray Level 3 Nov 18, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:589
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.