Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Unearthing the True Origins of the Bible - YouTube

I'm of Hebrew descent so this is fascinating. It also makes perfect sense, to me.

rainmanjr 8 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So it looks, to me, like Canaanites (and, therefore, IsraELites) broke from Philistine culture both in the practices of circumcision and eating meat (particularly pork). I would wonder if the environmental iron age break came from disease/illness from pork, and other unclean (or thought to be unclean) hygiene, rather than degradation of the environment due to mining/forging iron? Since the Canaanite practices seemed to promote health they were adopted and became religious laws. That would also likely promote a bigoted view of Philistines as a dirty people. 7% pig bones would indicate, to me, that some Northern IsraELites figured out to cook the pig meat at certain temp's, or preparational time, for stopping the illness. Others, scared of becoming sick, would not.
Just some added thoughts.

Perhaps. But it actually says that they did not "adopt" the "new" practice of eating pigs which the Philistines brought with them. So it may not include any truly rational reasons, such as health and hygiene, as the appologists would perhaps like to argue. It could just have been zenophobic. "We are not going to adopt the new fangled ideas of these new people who are invading our land."

The Bible is just a compilation of fairy tales.

Well this video approaches that accusation with a bit more science, Joe.

@rainmanjr The fact is, it's mostly fiction, based on some historical events. Most of the characters in bible were fictitious. The Old Testament was written way later than people think. New Testament was contrived hundreds of years after Jesus supposedly lived, he probably never even existed. .

@barjoe Yes, Henry is aware of all that. The conversation is about historical aspects of various texts and archeology, however.

@rainmanjr Yes. I watched it. The whole hour. The animation was interesting as well. I respect Dr Henry's expertise, but it is opinion based, other archaeologists have different theories. I gave my opinion.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.