Agnostic.com

6 5

Yesterday was payday. Today, I just sent 25 bucks to the ACLU. Why? Because, aside from writing op ed pieces, it's my best shot at defending American liberty, which means filing lawsuits against hate laws being passed by the Party of Trump. For example:

--Protecting the rights of transgender youth: This Tuesday, the ACLU and its Texas branch announced our intent to file suit against a bill banning life-saving medical care for trans youth if it passes. This follows similar litigation plans against anti-trans legislation in Arkansas – and in Alabama, where a bill criminalizing medical professionals providing gender-affirming care to trans kids is up for discussion this Monday. (Because if you have non-standard genitals, they want you to die.)

--Safeguarding voting rights: As we reach over 360 restrictive voting bills in 47 states across the country this year, the ACLU and our affiliates in all 50 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico continue the work to push back. Most recently, the ACLU of Florida sued the state over a newly-enacted law targeting ballot initiatives just a day after Governor Ron DeSantis signed it into law. (Because, if you aren't white and Republican, they don't want you to vote.)

--Fighting for reproductive freedom: Two weeks ago, states enacted 28 new abortion restrictions in just four days. The ACLU has dozens of ongoing lawsuits in the courts right now to stop anti-abortion measures and, similar to our work to protect trans youth, one such fight is in Arkansas – where we and our affiliate, along with Planned Parenthood, are preparing a legal challenge very soon against the state's total ban on abortion. (Because, if you got yourself knocked up, as punishment you have to give birth.)

--Defending protester rights: In response to historic protests defending Black lives that followed George Floyd's murder, more than 90 anti-protest state bills have been introduced in the past year. This week, the ACLU of Florida filed a lawsuit against one such bill attempting to criminalize peaceful protests – while we are also fighting similar anti-protest bills on the ground with the ACLU of Arizona, the ACLU of Tennessee, the ACLU of Iowa, and local advocacy groups. (Because, if you're out on the streets holding a sign, they want you to die or at least go to prison.)

HELP ME OUT! Please. Send some money to the ACLU.
Thanks, --Eduardo

mischl 8 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good idea; think I will join you in that. Even though I can’t really afford it.

Send $10.

@mischl I gave $20.

@MsKathleen WE thank you, Kathleen!

@mischl Hey, I’m a member now.

@MsKathleen I'm a member of the Florida ACLU.

@mischl I guess I am a national member. Will have to look into the Arizona chapter for my birthday fund raiser...AZ could use more ACLU action, especially since Governor Douchey Ducey signed the voter suppression legislation this week.

@MsKathleen Right. He was trying to out-do our Gov. DeathSantis and the All-Repub Florida legislature.

just did a fundraiser for them for my birthday....got them 200 bucks. And I donate monthly

Oh WOW! Thank you. You're a girl after my own heart. AND...you might be interested to know that I took my Master's in Psych from Lindenwood U.

@mischl The two I do every month is ACLU and Southern Poverty Law center. I'm also part of ACLU's people power organization.

@mischl Lindenwood is right around the corner from my new apartment. It's less than two miles from this rental house. It's grown like crazy!!! But the leaning tree is still there.

I feel the same. I just became a member for the first time.

Thank you, Gustav. And good luck in your search.

I am card-carrying member, they are Amazing! Even if I do not always agree with an individual case, they Know our Constitution & Bill of Rights & defend them!

Thank you, Anne!

**will do, don

Next time I have a payday, I'll send them.

When I say "payday," of course I'm talking about my SS check.

@mischl I know. Your check.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:596580
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.