Agnostic.com

2 3

I had convinced myself that "A Clockwork Orange" was problematic because Stanley Kubrick misinterpreted Anthony Burgess' novel—and I do still believe in part that he did, by switching Alex from anti-hero to hero—but Faith Merino points out why the source material itself was problematic (and I hadn't realized, even if it's obvious to the more astute reader, how right-wing Burgess' politics are).

[electricliterature.com]

altschmerz 9 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People were 'shocked' by Kubrick's Clockwork Orange not because of the violence and sex and so on, but because Kubrick refused to peddle a false moral compass, like most movies do. He let the audience decide: was Alex a murdering raping low life who got away with it in the end, or was he a product of a sterile alienated culture where youth are so numb they revel in drugs and violence to feel alive? Kubrick wasn't Spielberg, peddling piffle to the unthinking masses. He filleted open the core story from Burgess's book and said to the audience, you decide for yourselves. Many couldn't deal with it, so they said it was a terrible movie and blamed the violence. Personally, i find the themes of this movie just as relevant now, if not more so, than when I first saw it in 1973 as an 18 year old. Pity that some people still don't get it, even after nearly 50 years.

I think, personally, that you are over rating Kubrick, like so many others have done.
Perhaps indulging in an apophenia deconstructionist approach to his pretentious randomness and calling it genius.
Kubrick was incapable of originality so corrupted the creative works of others and called it adaptation.
He was self-indulgent, a bully, a leach, a scandalmonger and a prolific self-publicist. Very little else, but in those areas he was very efficient in creating the myth of "Kubrick the artist" the master of passing off incompetence as indecipherable metaphor
This is what people "don't get"

@LenHazell53 well that's a personal attack on him personally. The post wasn't about Kubrick the man, but about the film Clockwork Orange looking back almost 50 years. I stand by my opinion. It's a deeply disturbing movie, but for reasons that people don't always understand. Kubrick transcended the source material to create something masterful though disturbing. Though the movie has aged -- what looked futuristic in the early 1970s, now looks like 60s retro chic -- but the moral ambiguity of the film remains, and it takes its place in cinematic history. That's all I have to say.

@altschmerz Malcolm McDowell has said Kubrick was an extraordinary Director to work with. It all comes down to personalities. In any case it's irrelevant. The film stands on its merits, not the character of the Director. In a similar way I think many of Roman Polanski's films are extraordinary, but as for the man I have the lowest opinion.

@altschmerz Paths of Glory I will go along with being a good film, but that was in 1957, before Kubrick started thinking he was "Kubrick" and allowed seasoned professionals like Kirk Douglas to show him how to make a film.
2001 is the product of two enormous narcissist egos (Kubrick and Clarke) and a LOT of money indulging in an orgy of mutual admiration and back patting.
Stragelove is not a Kubrick Film it is a Peter Sellers film and like all Sellers helmed films is a mess, an amusing mess, but a mess none the less. Dr. Strangelove is what happens when you give Peter Sellers free reign to do as he pleased and is no better than "Soft Beds and Hard battles" or "The fiendish Plot of Dr. Fumanchu" or any other of the many films Sellers went multi role egomaniacal on, because the British film industry really believed he could do no wrong.
Films like "After the Fox" and "Battle of the sexes" and his one good multi role film "The Mouse that Roared" show what Sellers could do with a strong director who would take none of his shit and got great performances out of him, Kubrick unfortunately could not, we can thank the studio gods that Kubrick did not give sellers his head and allow him to play 'Buck' Turgidson and Major 'King' Kong as well, because Sellers is on record as being furious when those parts were taken away from him.

Interestingly the most acclaimed Kubrick film Spartacus, is also the most reviled as being the most Un-Kubrick by his fans. This is not surprising Kirk Douglas insisted on Kubrick as director, because he had been so pliable on Paths of Glory and basically allowed Douglas to direct the film by proxy, which he did again on Spartacus (Compare both films to Posse 1975 and you can see Douglas the director stamped all over them.
Kubrick did not have final cut on Spartacus but Douglas did.

@altschmerz, @David1955
Malcolm McDowell has said (insert name director here) was an extraordinary Director to work with.
McDowell is a fine actor, but he will work for anyone who will pay him, Lyndsey Anderson, Rob Zombie, Trey Parker and Matt Stone and has even played himself on episodes of Scooby Doo.
He is famously amiable and cooperative, would rarely say a bad word against anyone, which is why he is never out of work.

Most people believe "A Clockwork Orange" was banned for 30 years, this is not the case Stanley Kubrick himself withdrew the film from circulation and refused licenses for home media and TV because he felt his film was under appreciated and did not want it butchered for television or exposed to further, as he saw it, unjustified criticism.
In 1971 it met with mixed reviews and like Kubricks later works (Especially the Shining) was compared unfavourably to it's source material.(Which is a highly disturbing read.)
As soon as Kubrick died in 1999, the film was approved for release on VHS and DVD (R rating in the USA 18 rating in the UK) and was broadcast uncut on Sky TV in 2001 largely to a disappointed audience who could not see what all the fuss was about.

@altschmerz No it was supressed because Kubrick wanted to add to his own mythos and a forbidden film in the Kubrick canon was too juicy a morsel not to include.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.