17 2

What kind of atheist are you?

Are you a firebrand or a diplomat?

• 5 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 26 votes
LeeRoyJobs 4 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The kind who doesn't care if the other person gets offended when I say "I am Atheist".

It would be just as rude of me to attack another's beliefs, as it would for them to attack mine. One of the things I dislike most about many religious followers is their need to prove their belief is the "only" true belief. I would be the pot calling the kettle black, if I were to do the same. When asked about my religious beliefs I don't mind telling people I'm athiest. If asked to explain, I will. To be honest I actually enjoy conversations with people who might not agree with my views, as long as they're respectful. I see no problem with learning about other people's lives and what feeds their belief. I find the differences amongst men/women interesting in all aspects. However, when it comes to someone who wishes to "preach" at me rather than converse with me; I can respectfully become the opposite. While I won't resort to name calling etc, (although somewhat just as childish) I'll choose to take their own over-hyped approach towards me and make a bit of a mockery of them. I have never sat down and read the bible or other religious books fully, but I know enough to say that real followers would not act in such a manner. For me it's really just a matter of respecting each other's values as you would wish them to do yours.

While philosophically I'm an anti-theist, preaching it isn't the way to change hearts and minds. Religious beliefs are not rationally held, so people cannot be rationally convinced that they're wrong.

I'm more of what I call an honest Atheist, meaning I ???? percent know there is no gods. I believe Superior, more evolved beings exist. I feel an advanced species wouldn't need to be worshipped or praised.

I'm only a firebrand when someone deserves it. Otherwise, I'd consider myself a Wheatonist, as in "Don't be a d*ck."

Depends on the time, place and event, and how much over reach the believers are doing.

I am comfortable and confident enough in my stance to not have to defend my position nor feel the need to question others who believe differently. Until recently curiosity compelled me to ask how ones beliefs came to be. Currently, I accept people as they are and don't feel the need to know how they arrived at their conclusions. I feel I've acquired just enough wisdom to recognize when someone is looking to change through asking questions and honestly striving to understand the answers.

SamL Level 7 Oct 9, 2017

I am rather forced to be a little bit of both due to my position as a scholar. My area studying the secular community is umbrellaed by the larger branch of the sociology of religion. When I go to academic conferences I cannot disregard people's work because they are studying religious belief. When I study people who are religious (which even with my area of study I have/will do with my professors) I cannot judge them based on their beliefs. When I am in class discussing religion I cannot call my religious classmate's out on their beliefs. I desperately want to do all of these things and I complain about religion/beliefs to my atheist friends but I must moderate my professional reactions.

The kind that doesn't really think about it too much

It all depends on where I am and if I'm being chastised by a theist for my lack of belief. I never raise my voice, but I will get more aggressive if my lack of belief is being ridiculed. If for example, they say I'm going to Hell, I don't yell at them, in fact, the opposite. I tell those people that I feel bad for them and I'm sorry that their morality has been eroded so much by their faith, that they can no longer recognise how evil what they just said is, and it scares me that they can't understand that. ( I say this with the most sympathetic and honest calm tone). They never fail to get more and more depraved. They seem to always double down by saying something like I'll be in Heaven eating popcorn while I watch you burn in torment. I'll say, What you're doing makes my point, you can no longer see how vile you've become, your religion has robbed you of your humanity. I end it usually asking them, does thought of people like me suffering make you feel good inside, do those thoughts give you joy? This is commonly referred to as psychopathic behaviour, and you have your belief in God to thank for that. Walk away no matter what they say, don't turn around just keep going.

Conservative-ish Trump voting, gun toting atheist???

I'm a Hard 7. I believe it is acceptable to say "there is no god" as it is to say "there is no Santa Claus". All for the same reasons.

I went through a phase when I was a new atheist (and a teenager) where I was trying to 'convert' everyone around me to atheism. I was insecure and needed to validate my personal stance as an atheist by demonstrating to myself that people around me also saw what I saw and understood what I understood. After a few decades, though, I know who I am, and am comfortable with my own solid understanding of the universe and how things work, and no longer need to prove atheism is valid. I still get annoyed when Christians try to convert me, and push back with my best atheist arguments, but I no longer am an atheist crusader and I don't spend much time ruminating on my being an atheist or on the many evils of religions. There are too many more-constructive things I can spend my time and energy on(including a bit of social activism promoting the rights of freethinkers and atheists and pointing out the problems associated with letting religion dominate secular politics, of course). Now that I am content that there is no God, I can focus my attention on science, history, sociology, and other more interesting subjects that actually deal with real phenomena.

After a few decades? Are you even a few decades old? lol....I'm just messing with you. I liked your response, well said.

Thanks 🙂 Some days I am still surprised that I can say 'a few decades' with respect to myself. After all, the 80's was just last year, right? Other days I most definitely feel at least 38 years old, if not older.

I used to be a passive atheist, but have come to see the damage religion does and I think the world will not truly advance until religion becomes mythology.

I tend to agree with you, but I see atheists using ineffective and faulty arguments, and I'm truly not saying you because I've read your posts. What I'm saying is we need to not be afraid to point it out. If anyone sees me doing that I want them to point it out. I promise I'll check my ego and listen. I don't mind being wrong as long as I'm being corrected.

After years as an evangelical, I stopped seeing the validity in their approach to "truth." If you believe something to be true, you should be able to argue it rationally, coherently, and consistently. What ought to distinguish rational thinkers from the rest is the ability to compassionately and sensitively advocate for their beliefs without trashing others'. So, I prefer the diplomatic path.

I often find myself asking people what evidence they have of (insert ridiculous claim here) but don't explicitly state that their beliefs are ridiculous to me without evidence.

I like information, and solid proof is what drives my beliefs. I don't care what anyone else believes, even the ones I believe are idiots. Religion isn't a defining factor of who one is unless they make it so, and if a religious person is fine with my atheism, we're good.
My 9 year old son on the other hand spent a summer with family that went to a full on crazy town baptist church 2-3 days a week and has decided he wants to be Lucian Greaves when he grows up....

He is going to change his mind , maybe ?
Or brainwashed took place, good luck.

Don't worry. My yougest son was fullon Baptist from earliest years. I gave him a quarter on Sunday and let him go wherever. He has finally seen the light at 45 and has left church life and is passing thru the agnostic stage! My job as mother was concernl with his behavior but his beliefs were his own.

He is an amazing and intelligent young man. Proud of him.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.