Agnostic.com

7 25

After being raised Southern Baptist, this exactly how I feel.

Notlost 6 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So basically this god bloke is a mafia boss. You do as I say or I break your legs.

Which god are you speaking of?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and CREATE EVIL: I the Lord do all these things. Isaiah 45:7

You would have to understand, the sheep thinks that the "Good shepard " is good to them when they are being fed and fattened up. What then does a shepherd do to its fattened up sheep? Slaughter and eat them, which would be good and tasty for the shepherd.

If you are a wolf preying on the 'good Shepard's " sheep, do you think the "good shepard " would be good to you?

No wonder why people think some God thingies, or other people's God thingies are so bad.

Word Level 8 May 29, 2021

The father judges no one...
so, congrats on your escape 🙂

Well put and congratulations to you for showing and having extraordinary willpower. You accomplished the same as someone who recovers from Drug / Alcohol addiction successfully 👍 🤝 🤟 ✊🏻

That's plenty logical, and a relief no doubt, to people who have been caught up in fundamentalist ideologies. It may only be a temporary relief however, because it doesn't make the real problem go away.

The real problem is that life is still that way (delivering both good and bad experiences) whether it is coming from a sentient, supernatural being or from an unconscious material universe.

So, with God or without God, we still have to decide for ourselves if we think life is good. And this will never be proven one way or the other by objective analysis. It is ultimately a choice we make, and we then live with the consequences of our choices.

skado Level 9 May 28, 2021

For example, a common accusation against atheists by believers is that without God life is meaningless. (Which has absolutely no bearing on the truth claims under discussion, by the by.). And certainly, to be honest, atheism can lead to nihilism. Conversely, the promise of a blissful hereafter can lead to the devaluation of this life to the point that martyrdom makes perfect sense. As for myself, I choose to appreciate this life, the only one I’ll ever know, in a way that is unavailable to those who believe in God. It’s often not fair, it can be very cruel, but you’ve got to play the hand you’ve been dealt as best you can.

@NostraDumbass
That's all true, and good thinking. It is relevant however only to an up or down vote on religious literalism. What generally gets lost in this type of discussion is the fact that not all religious people are literalists. My original point is... that there is really no difference between god and no-god. Life deals with us the same, either way. So, whether believers or non-believers are aware of it, the god concept probably always was just a personification of what our contemporaries today call the universe. That thing exists. We call it different names, and envision it in different ways, and attribute to it varying qualities, but it still does what it does. And our attitude toward it is what makes any possible difference in our experience of life.

@skado The thing is, the literalists are the loudest and most aggressive and therefore in need of the most attention. And these are the same people who will insist against all evidence and experience that holding the “correct” beliefs makes all the difference in your worldly walk as well as your eternal destination. You and I know different (rain falls on us all)-but if the need to believe otherwise is strong enough a way will be found. And it can also be reasonably and rationally argued that the non-literalists are giving cover to the bad actors in their midst simply by buying into the general theistic paradigm.

@NostraDumbass
The question is, what might the non-literalists be getting out of their participation that makes that risk worth taking.

@skado They, like the literalists, are merely expressing their version of the truth. Each camp would see the other as the enemy within that must be marginalized and defeated. Typical internecine squabbling. So the goal is not to give cover, but to dominate the stage if possible. And if the non-literalists did get the upper hand then the cover they’re currently providing would become a smothering of the literalists. But I’m not holding my breath on that one. Things seem to be trending in the other direction, wouldn’t you say?

@NostraDumbass
I don’t know any group or individuals who are not expressing their version of the truth. The non-literalists that I am aware of are not into squabbling or taking over. They, in my view, are the only ones who got the message, which is basically “don’t squabble.”

The literalists will probably always outnumber the figuratists, but the uninformed have always outnumbered the informed. It’s no reason to abandon reason.

Religious figuratism is essentially synonymous with art appreciation. It’s not about dogma. There is nothing to take over.

Apologists would argue that, apart from love, god is also just, which requires dire consequences for our rejection of his gift of eternal salvation thru the sacrifice of his son on our behalf. So by rejecting Jesus we “choose” to go to hell, as opposed to god sending us there. It’s the downside of having freewill, you see. But god created hell (and Satan) knowing full well (being omniscient) how it was all going to play out before the first moment of creation. At which point he could have used his own freewill to only create the “good” angels and maybe not plant that Evil Knowledge tree in the garden. (Why do that God? WTF were you thinking?) Otherwise we puny humans are left to wonder why he would create his own worst enemy, thus sabotaging his perfect creation (but blaming us), which in turn necessitated his incarnation in the guise of Jesus in order to clean up the mess that he (not we) created as a result of making a series of bad decisions in Beginning Time. Oh what a tangled web these Christians weave.

Not necessarily "Christians". Fundamentalists. There are other Christian interpretations.

@skado Exactly. Thanks for the clarification. It’s still early here…

Do you still believe in a god?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.