Agnostic.com

5 18

Today's hike: discovered new wildflowers blooming.

Today Karen and I hiked above Squilchuck State Park. It's our shady go-to hike close to Wenatchee.

Karen is buying a house in Winthrop in northeast Washington. It's a charming year-round cabin with a well and sewer system. Propane gas provides electricity and heat. Great for winter snowshoeing and cross-country and backcountry skiing.

We cut the hike short so Karen could sign and fax papers. She got a call: the title company needs it by 3 p.m. So much for serenity. We hustled downhill.

We hiked four miles with about seven hundred feet of elevation gain. Photos:

1. Lyle's Mariposa Lilies.

2. Mountain ridges surround the park on three sides.

3. Wild roses smelled wonderful!

4. Mountain Ladyslippers are hard to spot in the shade. Ladyslippers grow in moist humus, not dry hillsides. They remind me of Hasidic Jewish men with sidecurls.

LiterateHiker 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Envy, it has been a cold spring here and the roses are still a month away. Do you get many annoying insect types, in those woods as s the summer goes on ?

@Fernapple

"I didn't think there would be bugs!" hapless parents wail as they and their kids are covered in mosquito bites.

Wenatchee has an arid, shrub-steppe climate. Ticks are a year-round problem. Deer flies in summer. Of course, mosquitoes proliferate in melting snow, lakes, wet meadows, creeks, rivers and streams.

So, I protect myself from biting insects with:

1. Sawyer insect repellent for clothing and gear. Odorless and non-toxic, it repels and kills mosquitoes, ticks and 36 other biting insects. Not deer flies. I spray it on my hiking clothes, hat and inner hat brim, gaiters and socks. Let treated clothes dry before wearing. It lasts through six machine washings or 42 days.

The top-rated insect repellent of 2021

1. For exposed skin, Proven Insect Repellent with 20% Picardin. Odorless and nontoxic, It repels mosquitoes, deer flies, chiggers, no-see-ums, ticks, sand flies, chiggers and more. Lasts for 12 hours.

2. A bug net that covers my hat, face and shoulders. Gloves.

@LiterateHiker Thank you that is interesting. Good hiking.

Such nice photos of flowers!

Beautiful as always!

Beautiful

bobwjr Level 10 May 28, 2021

beautiful pictures (as usual)! You have such a good eye for that

@BudFrank

Thank you so much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.