Agnostic.com

2 3

Today I learned about the Gish Gallop
Description: Overwhelming an interlocutor with as many arguments as possible, without regard for accuracy or strength of the arguments. This is especially disingenuous when the interlocutor is not allowed to interrupt and address the arguments, as in formal debate or in writing. To the spectator unfamiliar with this strategy, the interlocutor’s inability to accurately respond to all the claims in the given time is fallaciously seen as a “win” for the Gish Galloper or appears to lend credibility to the arguments made when in fact it does not.

Logical Form:

Person 1 presents weak arguments A, B, C, D, E... without Person 2 being given the opportunity to address each argument.

Example: The term was coined by Eugenie Scott of the National Center for Science Education in the 1990s. Dr. Scott coined the term based on the behavior of creationist Duane Gish in formal debates. Dr. Scott states:

“On the radio, I have been able to stop Gish, et al, and say, ‘Wait a minute, if X is so, then wouldn't you expect Y?’ or something similar, and show that their ‘model’ is faulty. But in a debate, the evolutionist has to shut up while the creationist Gallops along, spewing out nonsense with every paragraph.”

Fun Fact: A thousand bad arguments don’t add up to a single good argument, although many people interpret numerous bad arguments as “strong evidence” (e.g., “they can’t all be wrong” - Yes, they can all be wrong.)

OldMetalHead 9 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, it is based on the fact that it generally takes a lot longer to refute an argument, than it does to make it. I can say. "The moon is made of green cheese." But to show why it is not, you can not just say. "No it is made of rock." You have to add explanation and supporting evidence, or you just have an equal claim.

It is especially pernicious when used by Gish and his followers, who regularly edit recording of debates to show their believers.

I'm nosy . Was there some event that brought the Gallop to your attention? Or did you just happen across or think of it?
It feels like there might be some simple story to be told. Ha, ha.🙂

@EarnestEccentric
Not specifically. It just seems that many people who encounter the Gish Gallop do so interacting with theists.
If so I was curious how it went. I'm not surprised or disappointed that there might not be a story.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.