Agnostic.com

8 4

Do you enjoy listening to Handel's Messiah simply for the musical quality or do you get enraged/disgusted/whatever by the proselytising?g

Performed by The Scholars Baroque Ensemble in form close to that of the first performance given in Dublin's New Music Hall Fish-amble Street 13th April 1742 in aid of charity.
Handel had quickly written the oratorio in 1741.

I'm currently listening & enjoying the full oratorio bought the other day for about $US1.00 on a good hi-fi Technic system played through a pair of Wharfedale speakers owned by a Yorkshire Punk rocker or should that be rockerette whose house & cats I'm currently looking after for a week.
Lif could be better if it was warmer . . . but having just found a BBC compilation record of Tony Hancock's better bits!

FrayedBear 9 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like beautiful music but if I think of the religious aspect, it kills it for me.

I do and did more in the past too bad it was written in English. Still,it was a brilliant piece and I like some parts even better than the famous Hallelujah Chorus.

Many of the composers were paid for the dialogue while composing beautiful music, they did have to eat

bobwjr Level 10 July 5, 2021

I enjoy the musical quality can ignore the dialogue

bobwjr Level 10 July 5, 2021

I particularly enjoyed the small ensemble in this performance.

The religious aspect was never an issue I simple can't listen to classic music for very long.

Lol, it's broken down into 46 discrete songs or tunes! You don't have to listen to them all at once!

I am no more enraged about Handel's Messiah being a musical piece about a fictitious character, than I am enraged at Spring Time for Hitler being about a real one.

I didn't know that Hitler was gay or Ava either.

@FrayedBear

@LenHazell53 lol, I was simply going on the teaser on the net -
"Springtime for Hitler: A Gay Romp With Adolf and Eva at Berchtesgaden is a fictional musical in Mel Brooks' 1967 film The Producers, as well as the stage musical adaptation of the movie, and the 2005 movie adaptation of the musical.It is a musical about Adolf Hitler, written by Franz Liebkind, an unbalanced ex-Nazi originally played by Kenneth Mars (and later by Brad Oscar and Will Ferrell in ..."
[en.wikipedia.org]

I’ve been singing this oratorio now for more than 60 years and have never paid more than lip-service to the words…same goes for all the other hymns, psalms, requiems and other Christian devotional pieces of music. The love of music is the point of singing…the libretto only the means to that end.

Music is just an abstract sound scape, there is no need at all to pay any mind to the words, to get enjoyment from it. That does not apply however to the visual arts, although the church in the past was one of the richest institutions in the world, and it commissioned some of the worlds greatest artists, the results are still almost always banal and silly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:607229
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.