Agnostic.com

4 6

"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth."
-Thomas Jefferson

Almost 300 years have passed since Jefferson penned this. Has much changed, really?

HelenRoseBuck 6 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great quote. I love the halves of the world bit.

Nope.

as long as what remains unexplained in this universe is accompanied by a need in many to attribute these mysteries to the magic and power of god not much will change. For many "no explanation" or "no explanation yet" is not acceptable, thus god becomes the explanation. Also, explains the resistance to science, it being a source of explanation, milking away the godly mystery dump opportunities.

Meanwhile he was a slave owner.

With each new generation, morality and thought processes change. Slavery is still around in many parts of the world but thankfully it is now morally unacceptable by most.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:608163
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.