Agnostic.com

4 3

Even as a non-believer, I still absolutely adore the Amy Farrah Fowler quote from her first appearance on The Big Bang Theory: "I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance." Attendance was always one of the things that baffled me about Sunday mass. How could it be a sin - regardless of venial vs. mortal - to not show up in a building to pledge your undying faith? What about the people in the world who had no such buildings? Even as a young kid, I knew that to be the case in many places. This was NOT a popular subject in catechism class, as I discovered.

RCAngel 4 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a numbers game. Look around and you will see most things are about numbers. The reason some religions (Catholics, Mormons) have large families (I was also Catholic and there were 7 kids) is about numbers. A huge part of our immigration policy is based on religious sects sponsoring immigrants to pad their membership (I have an unbelievable story to show this) and we all know about the Mormons including dead and/or non-Mormons into their church.

The church wants your hard earned money

I always wondered about the people who lived in countries that may have not heard of Jesus.HOw could they go to hell just because of lack of advertising? C.S. Lewis seemed ok with that

SteveB that was CS Lewis's position. Kind of an elitism thing

I'd forgotten that quote! It's nice that TBBT actually gets some non-believer stuff out there. Maybe we have made some progress?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6096
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.