Agnostic.com

5 0

LINK Was There a Civilization On Earth Before Humans? - The Atlantic

This is more about what traces we'd leave than anything about a prior, and lost, civilization.

It uses the footprints we're leaving behind as markers to see if we could detect something similar that came before.

But, still, as a thought experiment, it's fun.

WileEQuixote 7 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just had another thought there could not have been any other civilisations due to the earths climate .its only recently that the earth has been hospitable , the first lot of dinosaurs died out due to climate then the second lot died out due to a Meteor (apparently) we have proof of both of these and we have proof before these the temperature fluctuated to much .

No

And you base that on what evidence?

@WileEQuixote you don't need evidence to say something did not happen. You need evidence to say it did.

There is no evidence that any other creature has reached the level of Civilisation Creation other than Homo Sapiens.

@djalicex you cannot prove a negative, your statement is a negative without support.

There is no proof possible for a negative conditional.

@WileEQuixote That is basically what I said. I'm glad you agree.

@djalicex except you’re wrong.

You stated ‘No’, so you’re arguing for a negative position that you cannot support.

“No, there was no civilization” cannot be proven.

Care to recant?

@WileEQuixote

but I have offered no argument.

My No is based on the lack of evidence to the contrary.

@djalicex correct, you have no argument to present, as you cannot have one....

@WileEQuixote

Well, I could have one but I didn’t know that it was required as you have not present an argument either way yourself.

I could point out that the fossil record shows nothing remotely advanced enough that would be capable of building a civilisation other than Humans and they only managed that relatively recently.

The fossil record goes back nearly 4 billion years when the Earth was incapable of sustaining anything like advanced lifeforms which could build civilisations.

For there to have been a non Human species to have built a civilisation and leave no trace of that civilisation or its evolutionary fossil record would be very unlikely.

That’s my brief thought process of why I said no. So what are your thought on the subject as you seem to think the answer is yes.

@djalicex I don’t. The entire point of the article is that we cannot know.

You cannot support a negative (as you tried) and there can be no positive as, literally, there’s a 1.X Billion year gap that has no data.

And the physical changes to the earth in that period have wiped out all traces of anything prior.

So there is a 1.X Billion year gap, which is longer than the dinosaurs lived, as they existed between 230 and 65 million years ago,

Homo sapiens appeared in Africa 200,000 years ago.

So, 1.5B years would theoretically be more than enough time.

But, we cannot know.

It is therefore impossible to claim there were none.

@WileEQuixote

I don’t think that is even what the article is saying. It seems to suggest that if there were an ancient, non human civilisation we would have to look really hard for it but says that occurrence was highly unlikely anyway. Not that we cannot know.

The article says:-

‘’So it might take both dedicated and novel detection methods to find evidence of a truly short-lived event in ancient sediments. In other words, if you’re not explicitly looking for it, you might not see it.’’

‘’Are these events indications of previous nonhuman industrial civilizations? Almost certainly not.’’

@djalicex correct, it's a thought experiment, and the majority of the point is asking what traces we are leaving behind and could we use those or similar to find a prior civilization.

However, we still cannot rule it out, so a "No" is logically impossible to prove.

@WileEQuixote

Well, it is very hard to prove anything absolutely.

I call myself an Atheist because I don't believe in gods. Sure, there could be gods but the evidence suggest there are no gods beyond a reasonable doubt.

Surely that is all we can ever do with any question.

The civilisation will always evolve with time as time is neither there or here

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

Nothings been found on earth apart from dinosaur s but I really hope they find something on other planets when we eventually get there

@WileEQuixote still, nothing has been found no evidence

@Simon1 correct.

Because the whole point of the article is that in billions of years there would be no trace.

Of course not. Civilization is what makes us different from other life.

Not really the point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.