Agnostic.com

13 3

Is it me or do people of faith have a scorched earth policy? Could it be that they don’t care about our planet because they expect a better life in the next word?

rpmazzella 6 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This wasn’t meant to offend or scare anyone. I am certain there are many people of faith that believe should take care of our planet. As one person commented, the Jewish faith has been assigned the responsibility to take care of the planet. They got that one right. Buddhist and our Native Americans are people of faith and they both believe we should take only want we need to sustain ourselves. I get that.

It just seems that there is a segment of our country that feels that “global warming is a hoax “ and let’s ignore the facts mentally, is hurt our environment. I find this think really disturbing.

The crazier ones do.

The point is, the right leaning as a whole tend to be more for foreign intervention, and the right leaning as a whole also tend to be more religious.

The more religious you are the greater the chance you believe in an afterlife.

So the hypothesis or question is: If one whole-heartedly believes in an after life, does that correlate with a decreased amount of care for the natural material world, because of the supposed bliss on the other side?

I think it’s an important question. I really do. For the sake of humanity and all life in general.

Well put Thank you

I thought I was the only one who had this theory.

That's a good question. I don't know! I would appreciate that some of them wake up and notice what they're leaving thier children and the newest family tree members

What you have done here is painted a miniature portrait with a broom, my friend. When we say 'people of faith', we are talking about a huge swath of humankind. Though there may be some similarities among certain groups of them, they are not all alike.

There is one group among the believers that may have a larger portion of their number sharing this attitude you mentioned in your post, and that would be the truly fundamentalist evangelical types, but it must be said that not even they can be represented with such a broad brush. You'll find it better to qualify your assertions like ... "Why is it that some people of faith appear to have a scorched Earth policy?" That would come off much better.

I have found that to be exactly the case. They consume without end as they believe everything is within "god's" plan, with nothing more important than humanity. With these two assumptions. I've seen behavior of "Christian" nations that consume and reproduce as much as they can, as it's been assumed to be within god's plan.

Generalizing scares me.
[grist.org]

Some feel the need, or consider it a mandate, to be stewards of the earth. Others are concerned only with their next life and don't care whatever for the environment or future generations.

I definitely think christians can think like this. Not sure about other faiths though. Didn't know that about rabbinical teachings. The current jewish state is not being all that ecologically friendly. Can say that about every country though...

That's something to think about, you may be on to something. 😮

Betty Level 8 Dec 1, 2017

They are not even thinking of their death they are concentrating on their life.

mzee Level 7 Dec 1, 2017

That is exactly the reason they give when I ask them. 😟

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6114
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.