Agnostic.com

3 1

A godbotherer in touch with reality!

Chris Hedges | The HORRIFIC State of the American Empire
" Christopher Lynn Hedges (born September 18, 1956) is an American Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, Presbyterian minister, author and television host. His books include War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning (2002), a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award for Nonfiction; Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle (2009); Death of the Liberal Class (2010); Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt (2012), written with cartoonist Joe Sacco, which was a New York Times best-seller; Wages of Rebellion: The Moral Imperative of Revolt (2015); and his most recent, America: The Farewell Tour (2018). Obey, a documentary by British filmmaker Temujin Doran, is based on his book Death of the Liberal Class. " Wikipedia

What do you think?

Is Chris Hedges correct in his historical summation & can his conclusions be disputed?

• 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
FrayedBear 9 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1 ) C H has always IMO been a pessimist.
2 ) Empires don’t have eternal life.

100 years from now, the United States will still be a military and economic superpower. It might not be a democracy or a beacon of freedom. It could be but I fear it won't. It won't be overthrown or taken over by a foreign power. The threat will be from within.

It seems to be a rule history that each empire drowns in its own greed and decadence

I think that people who predict the future, based on simply projecting forwards present trends, are on a hiding to nowhere. History is way more complex than that, and there is far too much unpredictable noise in the longer term especially.

My first contact with the great pseudoscience of futurology came when I was at college, and we were told that we were especially lucky, to have as a guest speaker, the top government advisor, on futurology. A man so highly esteemed that he would not normally speak outside of government closed rooms. I remember it well, and fifty years later I can with hindsight tell you exactly how many of his predictions came true. It is a very small figure, exactly zero, he was very consistent and got exactly everything wrong.

Having said that, C. H. may be on to a few things of value here. But of course the one thing that he leaves out, is what happens to the religions which once propped up the worlds lost empires, and provided them with the means to scare and pacify the people into doing the empires work, and justify their imperial belief in their racial and cultural supremacy. Let me see now, the Gods of the Roman pantheon are not much of a force in the world today, nor those of the Greeks, Horus and Anubis are not much seen in North Africa these days, and the Church of England, is only a shadow show, acting out its role as an imperial church to empty pews, and making excuses about it all being metaphorical. I wonder what will happen to American evangelical Christianity ?

I agree with his description of corruption in the United States. I don't think the two parties in US have the same goals. I don't think the dollar will be replaced anytime soon as the default currency. I don't think USA will collapse by 2028 as he predicted in this 2018 speech. I like Chris Hedges but his prediction is way off.

barjoe Level 9 July 29, 2021
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.