Agnostic.com

4 5

Researchers Doubt That Certain Mental Disorders Are Disorders At All

[forbes.com]

skado 9 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good article.

Your title is misleading, what they say is that the method of treatment is incomplete since many are symptoms of trauma, and we only treat the symptoms and not the underlying cause. To use their example it is like treating a broken bone with pain killers and never setting the bone.

It’s the title of the article.

@skado then it's title is misleading once you read the article. synopis, and paper. It looks like a classic case of the headline writer reading the first graph, then writing the headline based on just that.

@glennlab
I have almost (almost) come to think of misleading titles as an unfortunate necessity, in the world of click-bait competition. It's annoying as hell, but I kinda understand. If you don't have a grabby title, you don't get read.

It still reeks.

It may be compelling in an academic sense, but I think it's going in the wrong direction. There's a particular bias against these conditions because we label them so and attach stigmas to them, and this perpetuates that attitude. People have a hard enough time getting schools to address modified learning styles of ADD kids without falling back on the old trope of kids just not getting enough activity (BTW, there are many kids whose ADD does not include hyperactivity). The same with depression.

Having these disorders classified as medical conditions is the only way to get them treated and addressed in this country. Even with that, society does very little to accommodate someone who doesn't fit into what has become a very narrow mold. I don't see how falling back on "it's just the way you are" will help anyone.

That’s not what I got from the article. What I got was... that’s what happens when we try to fit into an unnatural society, so maybe we need to think about changing society to fit us.

@skado I agree that it would be wonderful to modify society so it nurtured all of us to be the best we can be, but changes in that direction have been suggested by research for many decades. We know that different people have different learning styles, and it would be beneficial to integrate them into our schools and businesses and yet, all these years later, it's only done in a handful of independent schools. I've taken a big hit financially in adjusting my work environment for my betterment, which I accepted as a consequence of needing accommodation outside of our unnatural society.

Meanwhile, I've watched friends and family try to get schools, public and private, to make allowances for their ADD children beyond allowing them to take pills. Simple things, for instance, like one boy who could only concentrate if he played with a rubber band on his wrist. It didn't bother anyone but his teacher who removed it from him on multiple occasions. The only way parents have been able to make any headway at all is by having it declared that there's a medical necessity. Taking that away throws these kids back into a world where they just need to expend some energy and suck it up, maybe get slapped around a little. And this doesn't even touch on depression in teenagers.

So I agree with you on the goal, I just think the science, and then society, need to make serious advances before the safety net is removed from people.

@Lauren
I agree with all of that. And if I recall, the article didn't recommend withdrawing medical assistance, just more awareness of the causal chain.

@skado I agree as well that more awareness is needed, and it needs researched. I'm just a tad cynical about real-world applications. Apologies. 🙂

@Lauren
Understandable. ❤️

about time!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:615673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.