Agnostic.com

1 2

An incredible experience! I envy Allan McKenzie.

Elephants joyfully react to didgeridoo performance - ABQ BioPark Zoo

The ABQ BioPark’s Asian elephants received a very special performance from Australian, Allan McKenzie, a Gamilaroi/ Wiradjuri man. He is an internationally acclaimed artist and Aboriginal advisor of Boomalli Consulting based in Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia.

Allan played the didgeridoo for elephants Alice and Irene, the watchful eye of the elephant care team, and the unfamiliar sound was welcomed with incredible excitement! The girls stayed close to Allan and expressed their joy by touching trunks, raising their feet and tails, flapping their ears, chirping and trumpeting, which are all greeting behaviors between elephants.

This didgeridoo was created with a semi flared bottom and hand carved from a piece of yellow box wood from Wiradjuri County. Allan gifted the instrument to BioPark Director Dr. Baird Fleming, man to man, as it is a male instrument to show respect and appreciation.

Boomalli Consulting managing director Shannon Barnes and Allan were in Albuquerque to create Aboriginal immersion features for and guide the design of the upcoming Australia expansion at the BioPark.

Please watch the video, which I seem to have forgotten to include, in @LenHazell53 's response.

FrayedBear 9 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whoops. Thanks for that Len. I'm getting forgetful & have been off site most of the day.

@FrayedBear Just about the best thing I have seen all week

@LenHazell53 Glad you enjoyed it. I found it incredibly uplifting & exciting - like I imagine having dolphins befriend you.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617020
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.