Agnostic.com

1 0

Enjoy.

Patterns in the windscreen icing:

[australiangeographic.com.au]

FrayedBear 9 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am old enough to remember the days before double glazing. When you would wake u in the morning to find that your breath in the night had made "frost ferns" on the inside of your window.

Something like "dark skies" that todays children hardly ever get to see.

That and visible breath. Shirts & pullovers put under the eiderdown so that they would not be cold when put on in the morning. Spiky quills sticking through the eiderdown cover and of course the huge weight of the feathers compared to today's doona fillings.
I'm sure that modern heating systems & attic insulation also play a large part in preventing the ice patterns on the windows.
Do people still use the car warmers to stop the car engine freezing & popping the welch plugs or splitting hoses. Do cars still have welch plugs?
The sound alone of the west wind & gales whistling through building gaps substantially added to the cold!

@FrayedBear Yes I do remember all those things. And hot water bottles, a warm drink before bed, teachers telling you to stop writing and jump up and down in class to keep your circulation going, and asking for jobs in the farmers barn, so that you could go where the animals and their dung gave off heat.

@Fernapple the winter conditions down your way were more severe than those we had from the warming N.Atlantic drift. I remember palm trees growing up on the Wigtown - Ayr coast.

In Iceland the traditional barn houses the sheep below the shepherds sleeping platform so that they benefited from the rising warmth. . . In spring the flocks would be taken back into the mountains to graze. The lowest level barn was the largest. The next smaller as the flock would be split. The barn size corresponded to the number of sheep that could survive on the grass growing at that height. In autumn the reverse process happened to bring the sheep in for winter.

@Fernapple in Australia a hot water bottle is often called "a hottie". The last official day of winter yesterday saw us have a 4°C nighttime low followed by a 25°C daytime high. Unlike UK where you get up to 4°C & it remains that throughout the day dress here has to vary - unless you're a New Zealander - they seem to favour shorts, teeshirt & thongs (flipflops) for anything above -1°C!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619709
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.