Agnostic.com

2 6

In response to a comment elsewhere & in memory of a comedian who loved to mock Catholicism "Dave Allen in Peace"

FrayedBear 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of the finest comedian ever to grace the TV

That's stretching it a little IMO.

@FrayedBear
I agree he was not the very best of stand-up comedians (That was Bob Monkhouse) nor was he the Greatest comic (That was Spike Milligan)
I base my opinion on his technical skill, his timing, his ability to push the envelope, break rules and open up comedy on TV for those who came after him. He was the first comic on the BBC to use the F word in a routine and get away with it (well before Billy Connolly).
This is before you get in to his second career as an investigative TV journalist and his dramatic acting career or his early days as a stunt performer and daredevil.

@LenHazell53 I missed all of your ultimate paragraph. I'm not denying that he did more to expose the horror of Catholicism than any single other person. For that he was more worthy of a Nobel than any Robert Zimmerman or Obama!

This is great thanks. So good that people remember him so well. He was not just a superb comic, but a fine actor and in his own way social commentator and analyst of human psychology. I always thought that when he talked about the hideous Catholic 'education' he had, and the way they psychologically abused children, he was doing it as a form of therapy and to thumb his finger at the church for himself and for others of his generation who didn't become famous.

Exactly.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.