Agnostic.com

3 11

Justice Department sues Texas over restrictive abortion law.

Hooray! Go, Attorney General Merrick Garland!

The Biden administration is filing a lawsuit against Texas challenging its near-total ban on abortions, which the Supreme Court declined to block last week.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday that the Justice Department filed the suit against Texas over its law, which he called clearly unconstitutional under longstanding Supreme Court precedent.”

"The United States has the authority and the responsibility to ensure that no state can deprive individuals of their constitutional rights to a legislative scheme specifically designed to prevent the vindication of those rights," Garland said at a news conference.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in federal court in Texas, argues the law is unconstitutional and was enacted in open defiance of the Constitution.

The DOJ seeks a declaratory judgment that the law, known as Senate Bill 8, is invalid under the Supremacy Clause and the 14th Amendment, is preempted by federal law and violates the doctrine of intergovernmental immunity.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yay!

There is a war going on here in America. We are everything but united. 😥

Unity Level 7 Sep 9, 2021

It has been clear to this overseas person that the United States of America is anything but united, and has been thus for decades. The attempts to hijack government by the evangelicals, the conspiracy theorists (QAnon, Proud Boys, etc) and the criminally stupid (Donald Trump) are plain for all to see.

@anglophone believe me, it is apparent to rational, thinking people in the US, too. Unfortunately, their numbers have diminished and the war has been escalated exponentially under Republican "leadership".

@MsKathleen I can go with that. My step-mother (whom I love dearly) and a number of friends and acquaintances, all from the USA, share your view.

What frightens me is just how easy it was for Trumpty Dumpty to embolden white supremacists and such-like other trash.

@anglophone We are living in horrific times here.

Awesome

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:621462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.