Agnostic.com

3 1

So my aunt supports Trump, and honestly I don't know how to reconcile with that. She's a bit of blowhard, but I like to think she's a good person (then again I try to see the good in everyone, so I'm probably a dope). I don't bring up politics around her, but at the same time I feel by doing that I'm not sticking up for what I feel is right.

Has anyone else had to grapple with the confliction of seeing someone they know or love okaying things that to you seem morally reprehensible?

JohnSayles 4 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any one that would stop caring for, or stop a relationship with an individual because of their political beliefs is no better than a religious fanatic that would end his relationship with a agnostic or a atheist

The problem with you analogy is that a person's belief in God or lack therof doesn't affect anyone except the two people, a person political ideology, and how they vote affects many more people. More than that it informs a lot more to me about that person.

In this case it means my aunt supported a man who wants to ban transgendered people from armed service, supports protecting statues of slave owners, and came out of the gate demonizing latinos. Her vote went to affect people's lives in a horrible way, and while I haven't cut her out of my life entirely, I don't blame people who have.

If she likes Trump, deep down she is not a nice person. (Sorry Trump fans)

What about religious people that like GOD . A God that sends people to hell to suffer for ever . This God is revengful and sadistic. Would you say that these religious people deep down are not nice

I'm too old to grapple with that anymore. 😉 What is her reason for voting for Trump? I know some ex-Muslims who voted for him because they were nervous that Clinton would just be a Muslim appeaser. I suppose there are Christians who might have voted for him for the same reason. But most people I know who voted for him believe he is "god's man." That's just Republican-speak for "I only vote for my own party." The main question, I guess, is whether or not your aunt is the kind of person who can disagree without making it personal. The majority of people cannot.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6224
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.