Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Smerconish: What social media doesn't show us about Gabby Petito's life - YouTube

I never understood signing up to a second Facebook so never got an Instagram account. Just another spy in my phone. But people have and now face the consequence of having given Z too much power. Social media is not real life but, because it's used as a family/friend communication, it's taken as such. Just stop it, people. Pass what you'd like to communicate to the world but understand it's all a big TV show. Uncle Neil is a take on Captain Kangaroo. A more adult one, to be sure, but it's still a personality trying to relay an opinion. I think this all stems from the Idol Worship we are all prone to. Religion, Hollywood, DC (comics or city), Music..and now common people on the street. It hurts when they disappoint but it's so much fun trashing them, too.

rainmanjr 8 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I only use Instagram for business purposes, so not in the same way as the younger generations do, but my take on all this is that just like in real life you're only presenting your best self in public (usually) and on your best behavior if a couple is troubled behind closed doors or if individuals go through bouts of depression. BUT on Instagram, the good and happy and perfect is magnified out of proportion and and perhaps exaggerated using bright filters so your real life reflection in the mirror can't compare at all. It is an addictive activity and can become a problem if no limits are set. I'm not sure it's creating problems that aren't already present in a person's psyche but it can surely magnify them, I'm thinking. I don't know the solution, except awareness and limitations.

I think awareness is the cure, exactly. Becoming aware, or even of enough privilege to become aware, is a more difficult and time consuming thing, however. We have the distinction of living in a time of existential problems and one of them carries a deadline so I'm unsure there's enough time left for great awareness. We either have enough or not.

Michael Smerconish used to be an all-too-familiar right-wing voice on Philadelphia radio. Ick.

Yeah. I don't really like him but this is a good subject.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.