Agnostic.com

5 1

Does religious/ non religious affiliation matter?

I don't care what someone believes, i care how they act on their belief such as if they want to be oppressive or bigoted and use religion to validate it

but if all it is just them feeling like religion completes them and they arent being a dick towards others or feeling like they have to have others conform to their belief, then im not bothered

bloodypoptart 5 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i think telling children going to suffer eternal torture unless..... is evil and saying 'everyone's entitled to there own beliefs' is shirking off your moral responsibility.

Religion and/or spirituality is a deeply personal thing and I believe it is none of my business. I wish everyone thought that way.

It does not to me. I think everyone is different. I personally do not like religious or non relgious ppl who are obnoxious about their beliefs and constantly throw it in everyone's faces. I just know more Christians then any other religion so I feel more bombarded by them.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 4, 2017

sounds reasonable

How someone comes to a belief is important, especially in a democracy. If a person accepts only the information that affirms pre-held beliefs, then those beliefs will undoubtedly impact other peoples freedoms even if it is unintentional. For example, if I believe that homosexuality is a sin but I never misbehave toward someone who I discover is gay, I'm still more likely to vote for laws that prohibit things like gay marriage or the right of transgenders to use gender identified bathrooms.

thats a rather sound answer

I think both sides could fall into that trap. I mean at some point there just might be non believes fighting for a law to abolish all religious .... anything. Ok so it might make total sense to non believers to try and force said believers to get their heads out of the sand but that does not make it right. But the believers just because they are currently in the majority keep on pushing their belief system on everyone. Although I am hopeful that one day the laws will not be driven by religious undertone, I also hope the laws still allow for the freedom to be religious....just not pushy religious.

Deip, This is going to sound like I'm attacking your view and that isn't my intent. I just feel very passionately about what you think could happen and my feelings don't make my position more correct than yours.
To me, that makes no sense because you can't force someone from believing something and moreover I would fight as hard to prevent the legal abolishment of religion as I do fighting against laws that restrict any natural human right. I hope your wrong that our atheist culture would try to do something as useless and ineffective and morally reprehensible as making belief in the supernatural a jailable offence. That's not the mindset of the people I know, and something like that would destroy my love of this community. They would become the very thing we stand against, and I can't abide the notion that after all we've done, we would ruin it in that way.

honestly i don't really think so

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.