Agnostic.com

96 11

What, in your opinion, is the greatest invention in human history?

Anything from the hand-axe to the quantum computer.

Jnei 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

96 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bicameral mind

Birth control.

Zero. The concept of nothing is needed to make sense of anything.

Alternating Current- Electricity it lights the world and allows a much greater life!

I'd vote for the ability to make fire, when and where it was needed; then there's flint knapping, the beginnings of Science, investigating the 'grain in the stone.'

Symbolic representation of sound, ie... letters

Etre Level 7 Apr 21, 2018

Memes

lol

Gas powered ice auger, you would think so also if you ever used the manual labor ice auger.

The printing press

Irene Level 4 Apr 21, 2018

The neocortex, invented by Mother Nature, seems to have started our rise as dominant species on the Earth, and gave us the capacity for doing both art and science.

Which was not a human invention.

Language. It led to other developments.

Silicon chip

I would go for language. Though whether that counts as an invention or part of the natural course of evolution, I am not certain. Certainly a thought-provoking question!

Think the pencil is a brilliant design that is pretty much unchanged since it was created. Simple, functional... the other greatest invention is paper. Then there are books...

I love technologies but most will not function with out electricity. And that can be limiting. When you have a pencil, paper, and imagination the possibilities are endless.

Transistor

You mean apart from The Wheel, Electricity an the Internet? My "silly answer" is my MP3 player. If you had told me when I was young that you wound be able to fit all my 300 records (both sides) on something as small as a matchbox AND listen to them. I would have thought you were insane in the membrane. BIg Brighton Love Andy x

Yes, after reading some posts, I'm going with language and writing.

Wow, that's a good question, I need to think about it.

The boat! But then I'm biased.

It's a draw. Indoor plumbing and air conditioning. I was going to say donuts but that is so obvious.

Lol I am writing a book about donuts. My Uncle owned LaMar’s Donuts. If you have any stories,opinions, or ideas for the book I would appreciate it. Donut photos?

@CandyWorner That is great. Donuts should be one of the major food groups.

Toilet paper was an excellent replacement for cactus.
P.S. I really did want to give an intellectual response but I'm tired and it's late, so the smart ass just came right out, Please forgive this episode.

Most people used stones or the Sears catalog lol.

@SLBushway Some people experimented with tabloid newspapers but discovered they wiped more on than off.

Toilet paper is dirty. Bidets are better. And those automatic bum sprayers in Korea are the bomb.

That is an interesting question that I had not thought of until now. I would have to say that the greatest invention ever is the camera and how that morphed into video recordings. Not only do these things further our understanding of history but as a person that has researched the ancestry of over 50+ families - pictures bring it home. It's one thing to visit a cemetery for names and dates - it's quite another to have pictures of these people and how they lived and labored for us over 160+ years ago.

Good question. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. I will say that the one that has had the most profound and all encompassing effect on the development of civilization is written language. I'd say it was foundational.

Language/writing/communication, without it, nothing we have would be possible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.