Agnostic.com

1 4

I often find that free speech advocates are not necessarily open-minded freethinkers. They insist on their right to express themselves freely, but as soon as someone challenges them, they quickly lose their cool and are actually not interested in seeking to understand different views from theirs. Do you find that, too?

Ryo1 8 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I strongly support free speech and oppose censorship but just because someone has the right to express themselves does NOT mean that I have to listen. And I certainly won't listen if a person is hateful, racist, bigoted, rude, and blatantly ignores facts in favor of emotion, nonsense, or conspiracy theories. Freedom of speech is not the freedom to force people to listen.

Agreed. Those expressions you describe do not fit the definition of freedom of expression. You cannot establish any meaningful conversations based on them.
You might be interested in reading this article:
The Folly of Free Speech Absolutism
[medium.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624560
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.