Agnostic.com

2 7

LINK Iceland elects Europe’s first female-majority parliament

REYKJAVIK, Iceland ✈ — Iceland has elected a female-majority parliament, a landmark for gender equality in the North Atlantic island nation, in a vote that saw centrist parties make the biggest gains.

After all votes were counted Sunday, female candidates held 33 seats in Iceland’s 63-seat parliament, the Althing. The three parties in the outgoing coalition government led by Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir won a total of 37 seats in Saturday’s vote, two more than in the last election, and appeared likely to continue in power.

snytiger6 9 Sep 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I must admit to being more interested in what the German elections will produce as Merkel's replacement.
(Results are due by Monday morning.)
Negotiations, wheelings and dealings then commence.

Swell. Maybe the female majority is why Rwanda settled down? I don't hear much about Icelandic upheavals, and don't think women automatically rule any better than males, but interesting news.

In the 1980's, the leadership of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center changed from mostly male to mostly female, due to the AIDS epidemic. The Female leadership by the early 1990's made it the largest gay organization in the world at that time. I have a great deal of respect for female leadership and what they can accoplish.

I think the only reason female leadership isn't known as better is that woman seldom have the opportunity to lead by majority.

@snytiger6 Meh, that's one example and they took over at a time when things couldn't get much worse for the org. However, an org is not a nation. I'm not saying they can't lead, or lead very well, as they obviously can (Angela demonstrated that). I'm only saying that being a female does not insure a better leader. I think all humans are fucked up.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624730
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.