Agnostic.com

12 4

Stressing about a function

So, I'm going to a 1 year olds birthday party on Sunday. Going out of respect for the parents. I'd rather skip though and here's why:
Her parents (mom especially) are very strict fundamentalist Christian. Raised her very strict (she has since found some logic). Home schooled, you never missed church, etc.
What they believe isn't as bothering as the fact that the mom can be very outspoken about it. She has absolutely no problem looking down her nose and telling you how much better they are than you, and why. I can almost guarantee she pulls this with me, it will get ugly, and I will make her look a fool.
Has this ever happened with anyone? Especially in a public setting? If so, how did you handle it?

msar0414 6 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Go or no...be yourself with this decision and, most importantly, no guilt...

R1LEY Level 2 Apr 28, 2018

Growing up, my best friend was Jewish. His family would celebrate their holidays in front of me (Christian at the time), and though they would not discourage me from watching them light the candles or listen to the songs they sang, they also never asked me to join in because they respected that I did not have those beliefs.

I feel like that's how it should be handled. You do your thing, I'm going to do mine, and we'll appreciate the beauty in each other's traditions. Admittedly, it's harder to get that level of respect from fundamentalists, as conversion is part of their doctrine, but maybe you can set those boundaries.

I live in an environment were Boundaries are Respected or I cordially remove myself of that environment.

I think deflecting her might be a good strategy, such as something like "we're all here for (kid's name) let's focus on him/her"

"Thank you for wanting to save my soul but I'm happy just as I am. Who made the artichoke dip?"

Someone I knew introduced me to someone else as, "This is Sarah, she doesn't believe in god."

I tend to just look at them as they babble, and when they're done (they have to run out of steam eventually) just carry on as though they had an attack of Tourette's. If they try and involve you with questions you can just say "I don't wish to discuss it" and let them look the fool.

Since we can't burn people of faith at the stake, or feed them to large animals, we must learn to ignore their stupid. They are very hard to correct. You could try whacking her on the snout with a rolled up paper, but that might cause the poor thing to tinkle all over the place even more.

I'm my college best friend's son's godfather haha that was an interesting ceremony, as they have you swear before their god and pray and do holy water stuff... It was nerve-wracking, but I managed to get through it without compromising my integrity, I just stood in the back and stayed quiet. I told my friends before the ceremony what I would and wouldn't do and asked if they were okay with it and still wanted to go through with it. They did. It sounds like your friend isn't as understanding, so I can just hope that you won't have to get in a public fight over it!

whats good for the goose is good for the gander. a one-year-old won't even know what a party is.

Is this a christening or just a baby's first birthday party? One would hope that if it's not a religious event, and it will be mixed company (faith-wise) that her religious views would be set aside for the benefit of all. If you're not sure, maybe you should ask if this will be a religious event or not... That might get her to thinking if she wants your company (and your gift) or to spout her religious beliefs.

If it will be a christening or religious event, maybe you could ask what time the religious activities and speeches will be over, so you can know what time to show up.

I did this many years ago for a baptism and after party (I am vehemently against thinking an infant has a sin that needs to be washed away.) I showed up for the celebration afterward and stated (in advance privately) why I wouldn't witness or support the baptism, but I wanted to show my love and support for the baby.

Thankfully I have never found myself in such a situation as of yet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.