Agnostic.com

3 5

While Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter, might not intend to do this, under his watch Twitter is using both censorship and extortion to affect and influence political opinion. I answered a comment by a Texas Republican who said that abortion is unnecessary because people could just avoid sexual intercourse. Twitter flagged my response and locked my account. I appealed and received this message--TWO WEEKS AGO. They will release my account if I delete my post. The definition of extortion is gaining benefit or compliance through threat or force. Am I being extorted by Twitter?

mischl 8 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While twitter allowed many with much more influence to undermine democracy, education and the health of millions.
Now a suit has been filed to demand a judge tell twitter to let him have his account back.

Yes. And it's easy to see that ALL of my political comments (on social media and elsewhere) are PRO-democracy and ANTI-fascism. So getting suspended for an anti-Republican and NON-violent remark smells a lot like political bias to me.

I got facebook jail for saying that Matt Gaetz needed a bullet. WTF. He has guns. Of course he needs a bullet! Sheesh.

I'm done with FB and the rest.

I unabashedly USE FB and Twitter for my own purposes. Chiefly, I use them for pushing my favorite left-leaning political messages. It's my way instead of working phone banks and letter-writing campaigns. So naturally, it pisses me off when I get punished unfairly.

In the same sense that if my car gets towed for parking in the handicap spot, I am extorted into paying to get it out of impound. Or in the sense that I use coercion to keep the peace in my job (mostly), because even people in prison have privileges and freedoms that can be restricted if they break the rules; in the worst violations (fighting, or whatnot) not only do they lose those privileges but have their movement restricted and are segregated from the general population.

All enforcement is based on coercion: the threat of unpleasant consequences if we don't go along with the more powerful authority. Taxation is coercion. Speed limits are coercion. But because they're put in place by democratically elected representatives, most (including myself) hesitate to call it that. We just say, "It's the law."

I venture to guess that it was the "stop breathing" part of your reply that led to your restriction; someone flagged it as a threatening or abusive comment and voila. I realize Trump tweeted (twitted?) way worse, but social media companies are now following Newton's First Law of Bureaucracy, to wit:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite overreaction."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.