Agnostic.com

2 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I must confess to having no time for any dimwitted bully who tries to convince me to not be vaccinated, regardless of what the vaccine is for!

I don't disagree, but you have to also grant that a lot of them are victims of disinformation, pedaled by exploiters, which they have not been given the education to see through.

I have no idea what motivates the vile little shits that peddle such misinformation, and that includes this site's worst perpetrator.

@anglophone A lot of them are just sheep, often following an anti social agenda, created by others, because they have a problem with society and other people in general, not because they have any knowledge or even real interest in vaccines. A tiny handful of people exploit that for power, prestige and profit, and while I think that the theory that all anti-vax propaganda can be traced back to just a handful of individuals, has a little too much of the conspiracy theory, about it. I am sure that many of the instigators in the first place were, as has been claimed, members of the alternate medicine, homeopathy, and snake oil movement, who thought that a new disease causing panic was a wonderful profit making opportunity. While many of the clergy thought that a new panic, was a great opportunity to pose as defenders of their congregations and thus win even more power over them, if the cost was that a few may die, in their minds, "So what." plenty more where those sheep came from.

@Fernapple And thus the sheep become lemmings.

@anglophone, @Fernapple Who is the lemming exactly? According to this study vaccinated are 7x more likely to get covid than those previously infected and possessing natural immunity. Does NOT mean ppl should try to get covid over vaccine if they are in a high risk group especially, or any other group for that matter.

I also find it troublesome that HHS rep starts this segment saying "has not reviewed Israeli study" then later in discussion says department "has reviewed all studies". Which one is it? If the study is true, does it include any ppl who had both? Should we assume immune response is not as effective with natural immunity followed by vaccine? This should be discussed. Israeli study is large. 2.5 million ppl is a large study size.

@Flowerwall I don't think anyone would doubt that natural immunity, is likely to be a lot better than that acquired by vaccine. But it comes with a much higher risk of being very ill and/or death. Cutting down on the infections is not the only issue, if you really want to acquire your immunity with a strong chance of serious illness and death, and to do so in a country where the hospitals are overwealmed, like India, and you have to be treated in the street, go for it.

A little bit of immunity, acquired by vaccine goes a long way to prevent the more damaging effect even if it does not completely stop infection. In the UK we now have 90% of adults vaccinated, but the same percentage 90% of those in intensive care and dead in recent weeks are unvaccinated.

@Fernapple I did not say ppl in India should not take a vaccine. I do not advise anyone to NOT vaccinate. I think that the more we stifle debate on the topic the more we do ourselves in. What is the man in the original video posted above trying to do? Terms such as "morons, losers, cowards, idiots", using such terms to label someone who disagrees with you is about as useful as calling all who disagree with you "half-wits".

@Flowerwall Yes I agree with that. That is why my original comment was the qualifier.

"I don't disagree, but you have to also grant that a lot of them are victims of disinformation, pedaled by exploiters, which they have not been given the education to see through."

@Fernapple Some ppl have fallen victim to disinformation, it's true. There is a lot of it out there. But in some ways you have to wonder, aren't videos, such as the one originally posted on this thread, just as bad? It's only purpose is to further polarize the issue. insult ppl, and possibly further alienate ppl from vaccinating. If someone who is maybe not as intelligent as the next genius out there DID fall victim to misinformation, how does the insult help pull him back im? How does it sell vaccination?

@Flowerwall Yes they are.

@Fernapple Then we agree on one thing, good. Another point I read in comments of one video seem to indicate the scientist that said vaccinating would lead to further variants was right. Still does NOT mean ppl should not vaccinate, but those who wrote him off were wrong to do so.

@Flowerwall I have no time for the words of medically uninformed politicians spouting on about matters of which they are manifestly ignorant. I cite Trumpty Dumpty as a prizewinner in that regard. Variants are going to happen regardless of vaccinations - it's called "evolution". /@Fernapple

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625742
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.