Agnostic.com

3 7

How Baylor Steered Lower-Income Parents to Debt They Couldn't Afford - [wsj.com]

Yea, I taught for these sick f#@ks. Not proud at all. Like the Catholic Church, this institution should be banned, closed, and burned to the ground.

linxminx 8 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There’s a paywall, so I can’t read the article. But, yes, the cost of higher education in the United States is maddening. I hate to think it, but I bet it’s not just Baylor steering people awry.

I’ll paste here a comment I made below …

My son will be going to a state school and live at home with me — and it’s still gonna cost about $48,000 for tuition and books for 4 years. That’s effing ridiculous.

How parents can pay for private school, or add on room and board, is beyond me. Oh wait, I know: most can’t. And kids end up graduating with $100,000 of debt. Excellent start to life. 👌

@linxminx It’s complete and utter madness!

My son knows he doesn’t have a choice of where to go to college. He’s going to the University of North Carolina–Charlotte, which is 22 minutes from my house. He’s only 12, but we’ve already visited the campus, and he’s majorly excited about going there.

Our plan is: he pays for his books, I pay his tuition. At my current 529 saving rate, I’ll have about 60% saved up by college. I’ll pay the rest from my own savings. I want him to start in life debt-free.

I’m lucky. I know many parents can’t do this.

That's Texas for you.

Higher education is being priced out of reach for many families.

Yes! It’s outrageous! My son will be going to a state school and live at home with me — and it’s still gonna cost about $48,000 for tuition and books for 4 years. That’s effing ridiculous.

How parents can pay for private school, or add on room and board, is beyond me. Oh wait, I know: most can’t. And kids end up graduating with $100,000 of debt. Excellent start to life. 👌

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:628091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.