Agnostic.com

1 1

Apple takes down Quran app in China

[bbc.com]

xenoview 8 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I own several Qurans in print form. I don’t have an app for that, but people should have access that way if they want. I also have the Bible Gateway app which is very useful with multiple translations. And I own multiple print versions of the Bible. And Book of Mormon.

From the article: “Quran Majeed is available across the world on the App Store - and has nearly 150,000 reviews. It is used by millions of Muslims.
The BBC understands that the app was removed for hosting illegal religious texts.”
What the hell is an illegal religious text?

Also: ” Last month, both Apple and Google removed a tactical voting app devised by jailed Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
Russian authorities had threatened to fine the two companies if they refused to drop the app, which told users who could unseat ruling party candidates.
” Yeah Russia 🤢🤮

And: “The New York Times reported earlier this year that Apple takes down apps in China if deemed off limits by the Chinese government. Topics that apps cannot discuss include Tiananmen Square, the Chinese spiritual movement Falun Gong, the Dalai Lama, and independence for Tibet and Taiwan.” Yeah China in Tibet is a bad optic for them as is the mere existence of the affable Dalai Lama.

And: “"Olive Tree Bible Software was informed during the App Store review process that we are required to provide a permit demonstrating our authorization to distribute an app with book or magazine content in mainland China," said a spokesperson.
"Since we did not have the permit and needed to get our app update approved and out to customers, we removed our Bible app from China's App Store."”

Though an atheist I think people should have freely available access to religious texts. Screw China.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:628435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.