Agnostic.com

4 1

An appeal for girls educational rights from Malala Yousafzai, the child the Taliban tried to silence, by a bullet to the head, but who lives on and fights on to this day!

Dear friends,
The Taliban tried to kill me when I fought for girls' education. And now, it’s been one month since the Taliban in Afghanistan banned millions of girls from school.

Sign here, add your name to the fight
[secure.avaaz.org]

The situation is dire and our Afghan sisters need our help. So I’m personally asking you to join me, alongside Afghan women’s rights advocates Zarqa Yaftali and Shaharzad Akbar, in calling on leaders to get all Afghan girls back in school.

Help us make this one of the biggest calls for girls’ education the world has ever seen, and I’ll deliver it directly to G20 leaders. Sign with one click and share with everyone:
Add your name
To the Taliban and leaders around the world,

One month ago, the Taliban shut school gates for millions of Afghan girls -- robbing them of not just an education but also their futures.

Afghanistan is now the only country in the world that forbids girls' education. Leaders everywhere must take urgent, decisive action to get every Afghan girl back in school.

To the Taliban authorities, you assured the world that you would respect the rights of girls and women — but you are denying millions their right to learn. Reverse the de facto ban on girls’ education and re-open girls’ secondary schools immediately.
To the leaders of the G20 nations, discussing the importance of education isn't enough. Use the G20 Leaders' Declaration to call on the Taliban to allow girls to go to school and provide urgent funding to support a coordinated education plan for all Afghan children.

To the leaders of Muslim countries, religion does not justify preventing girls from going to school. Make this clear to Taliban leaders by issuing public statements on the Islamic imperative for girls’ complete education.To the Taliban authorities, you assured the world that you would respect the rights of girls and women — but you are denying millions their right to learn. Reverse the de facto ban on girls’ education and re-open girls’ secondary schools immediately.

To the leaders of the G20 nations, discussing the importance of education isn't enough. Use the G20 Leaders' Declaration to call on the Taliban to allow girls to go to school and provide urgent funding to support a coordinated education plan for all Afghan children.
To the leaders of Muslim countries, religion does not justify preventing girls from going to school. Make this clear to Taliban leaders by issuing public statements on the Islamic imperative for girls’ complete education.

The longer a girl stays out of school, the less likely she is to return. Join us in calling on leaders around the world to defend Afghan girls' right to learn and lead.

Sincerely,

Zarqa Yaftali, Malala Yousafzai, Shaharzad Akbar
Add your name
With hope,

Malala Yousafzai, Zarqa Yaftali, Shaharzad Akbar and the Avaaz team

Sign the petition please
[secure.avaaz.org]

LenHazell53 9 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I worry about Malala's safety. I hope she has good security! Thanks.

This is the most tragic issue in my lifetime, bar none. The worldwide Muslim community bears some responsibility for not standing up for these women.

I've had the same thought--where ARE they?

If only it would work

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 17, 2021

I wish petitions made a difference.

Hi, @Lorajay, top of the day to you.

Petitions do make differences in US states whose voters 1 ) use the direct initiative to bypass their legislatures and make laws, 2 ) repeal laws their states have enacted, and 3 ) to remove elected people who are not doing their jobs.

I’m happy to live in one of those states: California.

@yvilletom, good morning to you too Tom. Oklahoma has had some success with initiative petitions as well. Medical marijuana got on the ballot and passed because of one. Internet petitions don't seem to have the same success rate.

Postscript. I just visited. Ballotpedia.org and it says Oklahoma voters have direct initiative petitions, too. Your state may have too many Trump republicans who don’t want elections.

@yvilletom last election an initiative petition got Medicaid expansion passed but of course our crazy right wing Governor is doing everything he can to foil a reasonable plan to actually make that happen. I'm proud to say I've gathered many signatures for Oklahoma initiative petitions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:628673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.