Agnostic.com

3 4

Lots of people are kind to others and are great at giving advice, but are really hard on themselves.

Jolanta 9 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, and it is only after 68 years that I am learning to be not quite so hard on myself. Mind you, I now see myself as turning into an irascible old git. (My wife strongly disagrees with this latter view of myself, though.)

I tend to be this way, mostly when my depression raises its ugly head. On the other hand, I believe that most people will take a pretty dim view of a few things I've done (or haven't done). Feeling like I'm not worth shit makes the depression about twice as bad. I'm grateful that at least I feel okay-to-good more of the time than I feel bad.

@AlasBabylon Understood. I am lucky; I have found what drove my clinical depression. It is a collision between my upbringing and my wife's behaviour. Once I understood that, my clinical depression ceased; it was no longer the case in my mind that everything that went wrong was entirely my fault.

I hope you soon find a similar insight for yourself.

we have to try to see things from the other persons point of view we don't know their life experiences and how they are affected by those events ... im bad about doing it myself sometimes

I usually try to remember to remind myself that you never know what trouble other people have that they're having to deal with. And we really don't know.

Thats how it should be, have low expectations of others and they will never disappoint you, expect better things of yourself and you can always lower your standards if you have to.

It's difficult to lower your standards when you already see yourself as being pretty worthless.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:630037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.