Agnostic.com

4 9

I am sure many of you have donated to food pantries. A friend posted this information about making your donations more useful. It's always wise to ask the person you're giving a gift to what they want if you don't want to waste your time and money.

Here are the comments of people that need food from a food pantry. I plan on picking up lots of ultra pasteurized milk so the kddies can have cereal and the moms can make some of those macaroni and cheese dinners

Lorajay 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I volunteered for first aid at a food bank event many times

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 29, 2021

What people give to food banks/Pantries is not the problem, the problem is that in so called first world rich countries we have simply accepted now as a fact that there is a necessity for food banks at all, when our governments are will to spend billions on war machines, bailing out banks and persecuting for people with violent thug "Law officers" who only broke the law because their kids were fucking starving.
Western society in in love with its own inherent sickness, the cankerous capitalist mentality, that values money and property over the lives of people.

I have been a volunteer at my local Food Bank for around 8 years now …obviously as I live in the U.K. our list of food we recommend donors donate to us varies slightly from your US list, although it’s basically the same in principle. We are part of a nationwide network of these life saving food banks run by an organisation (a registered charity) called The Trussell Trust. We encourage our donors to donate from a list we issue, which includes UHT or long-life milk on it. We do not include fresh foods, any foods which have to be refrigerated or have a short shelf life, although we are working on getting local stores to donate vouchers for fresh food, such as meat and vegetables. Our local supermarkets are extremely generous, as are Tesco and Asda who have a nationwide deal with us to allow us to have trolleys placed at the exit to their stores encouraging shoppers to donate a few items from their own shopping.

The problem that I always have is that frequently basic staples are no longer recognised as such - example flour water & eggs let me make bread but bread making flour is sold as a boutique item. If you add yeast to the list of must haves & teach people how to make bread you are like the person giving knowledge of how to fish thus feeding that person for life & not just the day of a single fish.

Another that irritates me is female hygiene products. I don't think my mother ever used them. She used sterilised ripped up towels - month after month - and so did everyone else of her generation. Post WWII Britain was not a rich country nor inclined to prioritise money on such products.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:630856
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.