Agnostic.com

2 1

When they increase the money supply by 40 percent, and spend 40 percent of what they spent since the beginning of the nation in one year, then act like they didnt know prices would rise

Beachslim7 6 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not that simple. Nothing ever is.
Yes, an increase in the money supply is having some effect, but most of it has to do with supply-chain disruptions (ships (very) slow unloading at ports, shortage of truck drivers, etc.) at a time consumer spending is way up.
Economics 101.
But of course "some people" will insist government spending is mostly to blame.
In a completely different way, the oligarchy uses its very well-paid apologists to say we can't raise the minimum wage, while to the top 10% own 70% of the country's wealth, while the bottom 50% own 2%..
The top 1% own $41.5 trillion, the bottom 50%, $2.6 trillion.
These super-rich skinflints regard THEIR money as being off limits and virtually untaxable (using the old "supply-side" dodge), and instruct their minions to keep taxes artificially low to try to force cuts in social programs and indefinite delays in such things as infrastructure and other long-term investments.
It's not necessarily that they don't care, they just don't want very much of THEIR cash in the pot, and they have the resources to make sure it isn't.

@Beachslim7 True. Is that relevant to the topic at hand? If so, how?

@Beachslim7 I thought you were talking about the current high inflation.
The gradual expansion of the money supply actually began right after World War II
With memories of the Great Depression still fresh, the main priority was to keep unemployment low, which they did by expanding the money supply, which pumped up the economy by devaluing the currency.
Done gradually, inflation was kept acceptably low.
This worked well enough until a series of shocks to this post-war financial system (Bretton Woods) began, starting with
The Vietnam War, and
Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.
This led to inflation and lessened the value of U.S. dollars held by foreign banks, which in turn led to a run on U.S. gold reserves.
Running low on gold, Richard Nixon was forced to take the U.S. off the Gold Standard in 1971.
To win reelection, he goosed the economy with another flood of cheap money, and put in place wage and price controls, creating widespread shortages.
But an artificial spike in prosperity worked.
Then the OPEC oil embargo, in 1973
renewed rampant inflation, worsened by another oil embargo in 1979.which rose every year into the early 1980s.
Since then, the dollar was devalued by 32% from 1985-1995, and another 31% from 2002-2011.

The deficits we're racking up now are happening because the Republicans not only refuse to tax the rich and corporations, they also have, beginning with Barack Obama, refused to work with Democrats by accepting higher taxes in exchange for limits on spending.

@Beachslim7 I thought myself it was too much. I wanted Biden because hey, I'm a super-liberal Democrat and if that Covid money would've gone to something worthwhile, like the BBB, I would thought 'grest,' but amount in cash payments ? Way too much, but what really hit were Nixon's policies. But Breton Wood itself was flawed for making the U.S. dollar the world's reserve currency redeemable by gold, making us responsible for the bad fiscal behavior of foreign countries

Programs to help the poor-Middle Class, especially after 40 years of hurting them, or create good paying Union jobs are not harmful programs. In fact, they eliminated half the child poverty in this "advanced" nation. Programs which release the wealthy from paying for national improvements, maintenance, education, job creation, and health are what makes prices go up.

@Beachslim7 That's b/c the middle class, terrified of not being able to sustain their meger level of comfort, allow the wealthy to not pay for national maintenance. When the wealthy complain, and threaten to take away the jobs which create the company's product/profits, the middle class gets nervous and agrees that the wealthy have more need of that money. We will pay for everything and buy their weapons to kill each other with, further devaluing our little bit of power, so that our money keeps their economy flowing like blood. Then we wonder why we are no longer a wealthy nation with little ability to sustain a downfall. I think that's amusing but I've been unemployed for two years, almost entirely off the social grid, and living on savings. Not a single government program outside the V.A. Hospital (but I also worked for that) to sustain me. Friendships and careful, minimalistic, existence alone have worked. Life is joyful if one makes it so.

@Beachslim7 They have income that's mostly called Capital Gains and pay much smaller amounts of tax on it. Those people they hire are making the product which gives them the ability to only claim Capital Gains as income. Without that product they would be the piss-ants they view us workers as being. Hiring people for self benefit should not excuse them from their national defense and social net responsibilities, which includes taxes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637566
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.