Agnostic.com

8 0

Religions without faith

Are there any religions that do not require their followers to have faith? If so, which ones?

Coffeo 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The local Unitarian Church didn’t seem to be religious. They would teach out of many books. One service taught life lessons from the Marvel comic books. After that I liked that place better.

A year later I broke up with the woman who went there so I stopped going. It was an interesting place.

most people say there religious and don't do anything about it

The North Texas Church of Free Though.

Beside the life Philosophies that tend to be labeled as religions, Many people attend religious meetings as a social/community gathering, without the feelings or commitment of “Faith”.

mzee Level 7 Dec 3, 2017

re·li·gion ... noun: the belief in and worship of a superhuman or supernatural controlling power, especially a personal god or gods.

synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More: sect, church, cult, denomination
a particular system of faith and worship.

a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

"consumerism is the new religion"

So, within the context of what constitutes a religion, I can't think of a single example. Confucianism and Buddhism began as living philosophies, but it wasn't long after the founders died that they became religions, replete with all the supernatural trappings.

Unitarianism is an example of an attempt to legitimize religion in the real world. Bah...! Humbug...!

I think without faith, most woudl just consider such a thing to be a "life philosophy" rather than a religion.

The only examples I can think of are schools of thought that people later tried to turn into religions. Confucianism comes to mind. But it really wasn't a religion originally and didn't make faith claims; it was merely a philosophy.

That's crazy. The whole definition of a religion is to believe things without evidence = faith.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6394
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.