Agnostic.com

1 2

Festival, the film about the Newport Folk Festivals of 1963, '64, and '65, once again. I could have done with more Donovan, more Buffy Sainte Marie, a lot more Dylan, Butterfield, and Howlin' Wolf, and a lot less Peter Paul and Mary. I think the director must have had a crush on Mary Travers or something. She was attractive, and she could sing, but god, they were corny. In a sanctimonious way. Or sanctimonious in a corny way. And Peter Yarrow's obvious distaste for the Butterfield band is not to his credit. Speaking of sanctimony, I didn't care that much for the vocal stylings of Joan Baez, although she showed a sense of humor about herself. Someone should get the footage and put out an expanded edition a-la Monterey Pop. Interesting to see film of Mel Lyman in his pre-messianic days. Perhaps even more interesting to see him and Jim Kweskin backing up Pete Seeger.

AlanCliffe 6 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've tried and tried but I cannot get that excited about Dylan.

About 20 years ago I had 2nd row seats for an Arlo Guthrie concert. Who sits down next to me, Bob. I didn't make a big deal about him. At break, he said to me as he stood up, thanks & went behind the stage. When I was 17 I was at a club called the Cafe Wha in NYC & Bob performed before he became a big name. Two nice experiences many moons ago. Cafe Wha? is a music club at the corner of MacDougal Street and Minetta Lane in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The club is important in the history of rock and folk music, having presented numerous musicians and comedians early on in their careers, including Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, The Velvet Underground, Cat Mother & the All Night Newsboys, Kool & the Gang, Peter, Paul and Mary, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Joan Rivers, Bill Cosby, and Richard Pryor.

The club's motto is "Greenwich Village’s Swingingest Coffee House".

Lorajay, What albums/songs have you heard?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:639644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.