Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Pleistocene Park

"Pleistocene Park is a major initiative that includes an attempt to restore the mammoth steppe ecosystem, which was dominant in the Arctic in the late Pleistocene. The initiative requires replacement of the current unproductive northern ecosystems by highly productive pastures which have both a high animal density and a high rate of biocycling. Moreover grazing ecosystems in the Arctic promote climate cooling through series of ecological effects. Experiments with animal reintroductions were begun in 1988. Currently, Pleistocene Park consists of an enclosed area of 20 square kilometers that is home to 10 major herbivore species: reindeer, yakutian horse, moose, bison, musk ox, yak, kalmykian cow, sheep, camels and goats."

Question: What is the likelihood that the Pleistocene Park experiment also could help stop rapidly melting permafrost and climate change in the North American arctic?

* Another Video About Pleistocene Park😘
[vimeo.com]

AnonySchmoose 8 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmmm.

Hmmmm here too. I don't know enough about it to say for sure.
Adaptation of the theory to the North American arctic occurs to me.

Introduce high productive grazing ecosystems, refreeze the permafrost, and mitigate climate change. Except knowing geology in those regions is important to determine if grazing ecosystems can become established there.

@AnonySchmoose I not sure refreezing the permafrost is feasible at this point in Climate Change, a bit too little too late..

@Charlene
Yes, true. Remembering how CO2 decreased a lot during the global pandemic lockdowns last year, that would be needed before any hope of keeping temperature below 1.5C. That is needed globally to stop or reverse warming. In those ideal conditions, there might be a chance for arctic ecosystems to stop permafrost melt and refreeze it. However, I've been reading predictions that global displaced populations might migrate to the poles to live.

@AnonySchmoose indeed..

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:639774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.