Agnostic.com

5 0

What makes a person think that abstractions are not real?

I am reading through 'The Science of Mechanics" for a research paper right now.

Why might one try to imply that abstractions don't exist, when when we already hold them in our minds?

Isn't this to try to say that a thought does not exist?

Why might a person think that a kind of thought does not exist?

DZhukovin 7 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I for one, would not think that abstractions are "not real". They exist as they are, with the qualities that they have. I think perceiving the world in "3D" is dependent upon abstractions. Do we see in 3D? Or are we just pretty good at making a rough guess at it? Is not the assumption that there is an "other side" to any object an abstraction if it is not directly witnessed?

We hold all objects in our mind: the objects we perceive outside our self, as well as our thoughts. Some are objective are independent and some are subjective,dependent notions. Some thoughts phenomenal represent an existent and these appear to be independent of us, others have only virtual existence and they are dependent on us such as abstractions. Abstractions don't have a phenomenal existence, we can only perceive particulars.

cava Level 7 Apr 22, 2018

I think they are just saying that an abstraction is not a concrete entity. We make that distinction all the time in object oriented programming. A class named Dog represents (is a blueprint for) a concrete entity; a class named Animal represents an abstract entity. There are animals, but that's a higher-level abstraction of all non-plant, non-virus, non-prion living things.

Sometimes we make a class called Configuration or File or Node. You can't point to those kinds of things and say, for example, "there's a configuration lying on the table, go get it for me, will you?". A configuration is a concept, not a literal thing. A class representing a file is normally a stand-in for any file, it's a collection of behaviors associated with files generally.

@mordant

But they are not saying that an abstraction is not a concrete entity.

Perhaps the notion is that they do not exist as a true representation of that which is abstracted? That's about the best I can do.

@Condor5

No, that is not the notion.

Because something exists as a thought doesn't mean it exists out in the world. I can think all kinds of things that may or may not be true.

@tnorman1236

1. If that is true, then thoughts cannot be real. We already have thoughts as part of the universe we are considering, so this is not true.

2. Yes, that is true, but could it be that the mind does not actually hold false beliefs, and instead is just trying to be proactive?

Think about the case where someone has a false belief that is irrespective of a fully defined setting, where a world engine and point in time are not established. Is it possible that the person's mind is trying to do something that the person may not consciously understand?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64010
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.