Agnostic.com

4 7

Here's a link to a very interesting article on the Omicron variant of Covid:-

[english.elpais.com]

>>>an extract>>>
"Omicron is not harmless. In fact, the latest studies suggest that the coronavirus variant that is sweeping across the world is not radically less severe in itself; it is simply that omicron is infecting a population with different characteristics. Now the delta variant, which was identified a year ago in India, and omicron, detected a month ago in South Africa, coexist and scientists are trying to compare the risk of hospitalization among similar demographics, half infected with omicron and the other half with delta.

When analyzed, it appears that the risk of the new variant is lower, but a study from Imperial College London published just before Christmas reveals that up to 40% of omicron cases could be people who have already had Covid-19, compared to 8% with delta. Both variants are highly contagious among the unvaccinated, but omicron is also capable of infecting a significantly larger number of people who already have good defenses, making it seem less serious."

>>> another part:->>>
"The problem is the sheer volume of the current wave. If the probability of ending up in hospital with omicron were even 50% lower than with delta, with cases doubling every two days, there would be the same number of Covid admissions within the space of two days, according to epidemiologist Deepti Gurdasani, from Queen Mary University of London. And cases of omicron have indeed been doubling every two days in many countries. The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington estimated on December 22 that three billion people will be infected with the new variant in the next three months. If these estimates are confirmed, there will be as many cases in the next quarter as there have been over two years."

Petter 9 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And the unvaccinated are still most of the deaths

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 28, 2021

Yes, that matches my feeling that the "milder symptoms" are the result of the fact that many of the people testing positive with Omicron have already been vaccinated and/or have had another strain of covid, so have some protection against the severe illness.

I'm glad I'm vaxxed and boosted, but am still being a bit more wary of going out to crowded places unnecessarily, and when I do I'm upping my mask quality.

I got sick the other night, and l don't get sick. I tested positive the next day even though l felt much better. The vaccines, l have had all three, do work.

Proof indeed. Glad you're in good shape!

@Petter Thank you.

So, I’m going to be spending the rest of my life at home…alone. 😢☹️

Why? Have you not been vaccinated?

@Petter I have…including my booster. But this new variant is highly contagious. As one with COPD, albeit a mild case, I have to protect myself from the 40% of local residents who are unvaccinated.

@MsKathleen 40%. What sort of morons are they?

@Petter Ultra-conservative Arizona Republicans who would use the various bogus “cures” before they would get the shot. Arizona voted for Biden and a new Democratic Senator, but Yuma county pretty much voted red across the board.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.