Agnostic.com

12 2

What do you think about luck?

I just won $100 on a scratcher ticket. Made me think about luck. Many times in my life I've felt lucky, but I struggle with myself to even define what it means. Do you believe in luck?

• 16 votes
  • 27 votes
Tecolote 7 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Luck is a cool word, and great to think about and attempt to capture and control ! There has NEVER been a lottery winner who really thought or felt they would win, so it is always a GREAT shock and surprise. Right time, right place, and we can name the results as we like, but, like all else in life, it is a "mind" game !!! of course people want to FEEL lucky, rabbits foot in your pocket and don't walk under ladders and don't step on the crack, as supersticion and luck go hand in hand !!!!

I worked with a fellow that consistently won the 4 digit lottery, scratch offs as well, and if he went to an event that had door prizes he rarely came home empty handed. When we wnet to the Broadcasters show in Las Vegas he'd always hit one big slot machine payoff, sometimes more, and those machine are rigged in favor of the house.

I have known a couple of people like that in my life time.

Luck in Las Vegas, skill at blackjack or polka, is not luck, it is skill.

I'm an engineer, I don't gamble, period, but the guy I'm writing about was an engineer, too.

Wish I had some..

I prEy to the lottery alleged gawd all the time...no such luck 200+ million to one odds 3 dollars worth of hope lasts 3 or 4 days

I use it [luck] as a simple one-word figure of speech describing an advantageous coincidence.

I think the way peopel think and behave determines the likelihood of what kind of "luck" they wil experience, if any.

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.

But quantum mechanics tells us luck runs everything under the hood, we are stuck with our bodies and minds and have to learn to be comfortable in them.

@Shaun1471 I was referring to peop0el who seem to experience a lot of misfortune (bad luck) are experiencing the consequences of their own behaviors most of the time and those who experience good fortune often did much planning and preparation to attain their good fortune. That is assumign a level playign firld.

Well.... theres good luck and bad luck... its just an expression of circumstances. I like (shit happens). You got some good shit and some bad shit. If your dog ate all your weed and you smoked its turd... that could be some good shit. If its the wrong turd then damn.

Good luck is just a wish for positive results in someones life, safety, benefit, but certainly no further action on the wish givers part is taken to make it come true.

Luck is many times the result of preparation and practice.

Good luck or bad luck is coincidence. We only notice when events line up and we interpret them as having signifance.

I have been lucky to win small amounts on Lotto but don't think I will be lucky and win big prize

If someone came up with a name for it, it must exist, if nowhere else then only in collective imaginations.

I had a wealthy customer tell me one time that most self-made millionaires aren't lucky nor are they extremely bright, (like Trump), but that it's just a case of being at the right place at the right time, which is a random happening.

No such thing, just probabilities and statistics. I call playing the lottery, paying the stupid tax. I still do it sometimes but I have zero expectations of winning.

If you feel lucky that contributes to confidence which leads to better performance... Sometimes.

Yeah, I call it the stupid tax too. I only play when it gets up around a half billion or more. I would rather not win $500,000,000 than not win $100 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.