Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life - TheHumanist.com

Honing our ability to manage this dichotomy of control in the interest of morality and well being constitutes the development of character, a centerpiece of Stoic practice. But part of that character development includes a growth in our patience with and understanding of others who, for one reason or another, have failed to develop their own characters. Thus we may place Stoic demands on ourselves but not on others (unless we have been chosen by others as their instructors).

zblaze 7 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ah, a Stoic! Hello!
I make an effort to live by my limited understanding of the Stoic philosophy, but I have to say I am one of the least stoic people I know. Maybe that's why it is so attractive to me - because I need it.

Stoicism and Capitalism don't mix.
No profit in it.

I think stoicism is misunderstood today as standing up and being tough and not letting yourself feel emotion. The more I've read of it, it's not that at all.

Stoicism was briefly in vogue back when Tom Wolfe released “A Man in Full.” And Marcus Aurelius’ “Meditarions” is a perennial bestseller. Stoicism is interesting in part because nowadays too many people crave pity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.