Agnostic.com

21 2

Do you know your ACE score?

There are too many people with undiagnosed mental illnesses. Or unresolved childhood trauma. Know you mental health status, just like your STD status

Tendix 5 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Okay guys your ACE trauma score does not indicate how fucked up you are?. It's just a rough estimate of your childhood trauma. Just because you a have low score doesn't mean your lucky or normal. And just because you have a high score doesn't mean your messed up.
My score is 3 and I thought it was normal turns out after therapy I found out I have depression and anxiety disorder as a result of my trauma. That's because I have unresolved trauma. But therapy and medication have been instrumental in helping change my unhealthy perception of life. I can now sleep and reduce my anxiety and depression.
Those with a high score can be healthy if they resolve their trauma through therapy. Those with a zero are not necessarily okay. There are people I know who have no childhood truama but have issues as adults.
Bottom line we all have issues no one is perfect everyone needs therapy. I know strong willed people who still need therapy.
Religious people obsess over religion because they have unresolved trauma. Religion is like a drug. They think they need a fix every Sunday.
the difference between religion and therapy is that you can see a measurable difference. You do not need therapy for the rest of your life (unless you have a serious mental illness). Most still think you have resolved your trauma all on your own but I'm certain you have not.

Since l am 70 years old and have never met a person that l could look to as a standard for normal, l think I'll pass. ?

Good for you hun. Have you been to therapy?

@Tendix 'good for you, hun'? No therapy has never crossed my mind at alllllllllllll

@LadyAlyxandrea My apologies. I have a tendency of saying hun as a term of endearment. So 10 means you've had a pretty traumatic childhood. Unfortunately unresolved trauma affects us in an unhealthy way. If you think you've resolved your trauma then going to a therapist should not be a problem to confirm.
I'll give a personal example. So I thought spending days alone at home and sometimes not really getting out of bed was because I was an introvert. Turns out I was wrong and that I actually suffer from depression. My friends and family would tell me something was wrong but I thought I was fine. After therapy I found out depression is hereditary.
Even the most resilient people still check in with a therapist. If you think getting a physical is important then why isn't your mental health just as important. We all need a healthy trained professional to evaluate our mental health. Even more so if you have children.

@Tendix I was offended by the 'good for you'. Regarding trauma hearing 'good for you' comes across as condescending and belittling. I was being sarcastic about never seeing a therapist. I've been in therapy since I was 10, and have had many various treatments.

@LadyAlyxandrea Oh I'm so sorry. I was really being positive about you knowing your ACE score because I'm so used to people being negative about it. I'm glad we cleared the miss understanding.

@Tendix yes thank you

I do know my ACE score, and I think it is the reason I chose to work in child welfare.

Think I'd be a bit scared to find out honestly lol

I was too but I found out after getting myself into therapy that I suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. All as a result of my childhood truama. Being self aware and mentally healthy is what happiness is all about. You have nothing to fear. Religious people fear the unknown which is why I think they get hooked on religion. They all have unresolved trauma and need a fix every Sunday for the same shit. When you resolve truama you are no longer trapped by it.

Here is a test know, [enneagramtest.net]

I know a lot of tests that measure a range of how fucked or good we could be but the ACE score, I have not heard of, please, send me a linki

I think there is some confusion about this test, and I would love to clarify its usefulness. We use this test in child welfare to help determine risk in some scenarios along with a myriad of other risk assessments. Risk does not imply outcome, it implies the probability of exposure to harm. We take risks everyday. Every time we get into a car, bus or train we take the risk of being in an accident. That doesn't mean we are going to be in an accident. However, if we get into a car impaired to drive, or into a car that is mechanically deficient that risk can go up substantially and become a safety issue. When it becomes a safety issue it means that there is a much higher probability to exposure to harm that is immediate; it is now not if there is going to be a dangerous situation, it is a matter of when, and generally that is in the now or very near future. So, what I am saying is just because you have an ACE score does not mean that you have a mental health issue that needs addressed with therapy as an adult.

@Stacey48 Yes, we use what is called trauma informed, family centered, strength based practice.

Great. Now the next step. Have you been to therapy?

Yes. 8.

Awesome. Have you been to therapy?

Yes. I have Major Depressive Disorder and take meds, as well.

8 out of 10. Just another score for the books. It doesn't really mean anything to me.

Actually it means you have alot of trauma and judging from hour comment it means you haven't resolves them. Have you ever tried therapy?

@Tendix 33 years worth, you should have seen before therapy. I didn't mean to sound crass so I apologize to you. I've taken so many tests, MMPI's and such, that the only way I can cope with them is to treat them as a number and not dwell on them.
I discovered I was a victim of CSA recently (4 months ago) so I am still processing that and caring for my 83 y/o Mom (who has dementia and failing health) plus a bi-level lumbar fusion (1 year ago) that has limited my movements . I've got a full plate and then some.

@MacTavish The number is not anything negative. Your human and you've through alot. If anything you are a strong individual. We can't go through life alone we all need help. The number helps you identify your trauma and deal with them because trauma can manifest into something unhealthy. I'm in Therapy that's why I made the post. Everyone needs therapy and it's okay.

@Tendix I agree most people need therapy. We are all broken in some manner or other, some of us have been shattered and didn't realize the extent of the damage.
Therapy has been a tremendous help for me and after 33 years of it I still have work to do. After the discovery of the CSA last November I now feel that I have been given a second chance. All the problems I had growing up and later were not my fault, some of the coping mechanisms I chose are my fault, I'll own that. I'm now more outspoken and more expressive of my boundaries, I tell people what I think without candy coating it. Some of the people who helped in screwing me up made that choice to do so. I want them to own it, to know how it affected me. Yes, I am still angry that they ground me down as a child. I feel cheated out of a potential normal life so I still have work to do there also.
I think cutting off communication with them after Mom passes is my best choice. I may be wrong.
Suggestions anyone?

@MacTavish I cut off communication with some of family members after I told them what they did to me. However it's always best to check with a therapist.

Hmmmm..... no.

Let me see if I can explain myself here. Do I have an undiagnosed mental illness. According to the American Psychiatric Association we all need therapy or else they would not be in business. Do I have unresloved childhood trauma. From my early Catholic Education aside from getting a few severe beatings from some frustrated nuns, I do, but they don't. Living thru a broken family when my parents separated left some scars that took a long time to get over, but I worked it all out. Had good friends that turned out to be not so good or others who made it a point to take my goodness as weakness. If you have never escaped or experienced any of the above then you had best go and seek a Therapist. When I found myself going thru Hell I didn't stop and cower but just kept going and eventually the road opened. It was either a Good Experience or a Lesson well learned which some who cowered turned it into trauma. Even in my 60's I'm still getting frustrational and really annoying circumstances which if I let them get to me will eat away or be a constant annoyance.

I just took the quiz. It was kinda generic though. I've seen some pretty fucked up shit go down before I was 10 that wasn't even on the quiz.

The test just confirms that you do have truama. Sounds like yours is unresolved. Even babies who are molested grow to have messed up issues. My score was a 3 but I still have issues as a result of my childhood.Therapy has been instrumental in confronting them all.

@Tendix mine was also a 3. I don't think I was molested. One guestion on the ACE was about a mother or step mother being abused. I didn't see that but did see my step father (who I was made to believe was my bio father) stabbed in the back when I was about 5. I was raised in drug and alcohol fueled poker parties. Most of my crap I've learned to deal with and have resolved. Now I'm just dealing with bipolar and personality disorder.

@JoeMastle That's great Joe. I'm glad you took actions to deal most people are in denial. The test many not cover detailed questions but that's what Therapists are for.

Mine is a 10

I got 0. I never had any specific traumas in my childhood, but never really had strong emotional connections in our family either.

I took the NPR test and came up with 6. I have been to family therapy because of issues with my son. I am far from perfect but feel fairly well adjusted. I had an alcoholic father who I adored and feel that despite his issues we had a positive relationship for most of my childhood. He was abusive in the end but we left and it taught me to never accept that kind of treatment. I I also had a live in grandfather who was super supportive as were all the few relatives I was in contact with. My second marriage was idyllic and definitely restored any faith I had lost in the male gender.

In the words of Luniz, “I got 5 on it” ? N to preempt your thoughtful follow up question: I saw a psychologist a couple times around middle school, and a court mandated religious family counselor around high school (who did far more harm than good). I’ve dealt with most everything that happened to me before high school, but plenty more trauma got added in that incident that brought us to court; the full extent of which wasn’t revealed to me until a couple years ago so that’s all pretty fresh. I do realize I could use some real therapy, but I could also use some insurance to pay for it first. In the meantime I self medicate with herb, yoga, meditation, nature, and random hobbies I tend to pick up. It’s getting better but I do intend to see a therapist as soon as possible. In the spirit of frankness around childhood trauma, I have to share one of the greatest poems on the subject:

This Be The Verse
BY PHILIP LARKIN
They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

I was a free range child.

How d'you find that out?

[npr.org]

How do you get your ACE score?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.