Agnostic.com

4 0

“Isle of Dogs” Thoughts?

Where do you think it falls in Wes Andersons canon?

PhiGuy1618 4 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've seen it three times, and got more out of it with each screening.

My top two Wes Anderson films are The Life Aquatic and Grand Hotel Budapest. I'm still processing Isle of Dogs - it's a deeper film than if first appears.

Don't get me wrong - I loved it. Demonstrably. I think my first mistake was expecting the film to be like the trailer. I know, rookie move. It was on the second screening that I recalibrated my expectations. The film is incredibly dense. I will need to see it again.

I've never seen Bottle Rocket. But I do think The Darjeeling Limited is a major disappointment.

As a Wes Anderson fan, “Isle Of Dogs” ranks high for me. Very sweet and quirky. I am more a cat person (my place doesn’t allow dogs) but I thought it was great.

“The Royal Tennenbaums” is still tops of Anderson’s movies. “Bottle Rocket” is at the bottom. I would have to examine where everything else falls.

Bottle Rocket almost doesn’t count, seeing as it’s his first. I think The Darjeeling Limited is at the bottom for me

Saw yesterday. Weird. Enjoyable. Has strengths and weaknesses. I've never seen anything quite like it, for sure. I've got a couple of specific bones to pick with the way a few characters and dynamics were handled, but on the whole I liked it.

I've heard varying things about cultural appropriation in it--there is, there isn't. Not being Japanese or Japanese-American I don't feel it's my place to evaluate that element.

I think the handling of language and translation was interesting--I've never seen its like elsewhere, so that's refreshing by itself. I've heard people make a case that that's problematic, but I'm not sure I agree. Then again, it's not my place to evaluate the treatment of culture, so I'll defer to those who have a dog in the fight.

As a person who a) likes new, unseen-before things b) likes multiculturalism and the intimacy of our shrinking world c) is accutely interested in language, semantics, and semiotics, the movie checked a lot of boxes for me.

“The Royal Tenenbaums” is still my favorite.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.