Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK Meta-analysis of 83 studies produces 'very strong' evidence for a negative relationship between intelligence and religiosity

I surmise that while the less intelligent may gravitate to religion for easy answers, some of those that could have been more intelligent are stymied in their development by their feeling that there is no need to search for a better answer.

Reignmond 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

From the article:

“The evidence that there is a negative relation between intelligence and religiosity is very strong. But the effect size of the relation is small. This means that there are factors besides intelligence that explain why people are or are not religious. It also means that although more intelligent people tend to be less religious on the average, predicting religiosity from intelligence for individuals is fallible,” Zuckerman told PsyPost.”

skado Level 9 Mar 3, 2022

I do know some otherwise bright people who are religious, and some really stupid Atheists. But I would say on the whole, I would confirn the assertion. I have been reading numerous such studies for about 30 years. The thing to remember is it is Statistics, and there will always be outliers.

That of course probably means measuring intelligence mainly in terms of IQ, scores. But real working intelligence, of the sort which matters in the complex human world, depends much more upon many qualities of character, besides just paper problem solving ability. Such as honesty, setting high standards, being prepared to put effort in, being willing to change even when it hurts, and patience, I would like to bet that if you could find a way to measure those too, the results would be even stronger.

IQ scores are not wholly precise. I was tested 3 timesvafter an accident because my corpus callosum was swollen (it turned-out that mine is just exceptionally large) and got scores ranging from 138 to 156. The highest score was on a test that emphasied spatial and visual skills. The lowest was on memory.

Site is down sorry.

I just rechecked it. Seems fine. But here is a pic of it. It seems Agnostics.com downgrades images alot!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.