Agnostic.com

12 1

I am confused why climate change is ignored?

Marine 8 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

nah, tis only collateral damage.
Profit and lifestyle are the prime objectives.

people feel safe in their own little bubble as in it won't ever happen to them.

WhatWhere? Have youbseen none of the controversy over appointment of Scoot Pruit in the lasr weeks? To name one area.....

Yes but there has been no action taken against all the regulations he has destroyed and the damage it will result in. Mining waste dumped in rivers,oil gas waste and spills no longer reported.Where are the challenges ? None that I have heard of.

I see as much complacency, ignorance and apathy here that I understand how Industry gets away with it in a national and international level.I guess if I was a Republican or Fox commentator and said the sky was black, everyone would merely nod okay and go back to the Kardashians' newest baby drama.

What a shame for our Nation.

Because implementing the needed reforms will cost the large corporation's bottom line.

Correct even though they write it off as a business expense. They just do not want to bother with not poluting the environment.

Until big companies work out how they can charge us for wind, waves and Sunlight i’m sure it will remain the same!

Money Monsters

For the same reason ants ignore people. It's beyond the scope of people's individual responsibility and seems to be a titanic burden which cannot be shouldered. It's hard to see the problem in the first place for the same reason you can't read a book that's up against your face. It can be filling your entire experience, you just can't get context or see things clearly enough on the individual scale to understand how things can or "should" be. It's also slow. If I'm swinging a hammer and strike my thumb, the feedback is virtually instantaneous... you better believe... the next time I swing that hammer, I will be a bit less careless with where it strikes. Same problem that gets us into debt we can't afford... no "pain" associated with the action. Unfortunately, we may not even be around to feel the hammer fall... but the pain will come.

Brilliant.

Because catastrophic anthropogenic global warming very clearly isn't going to happen. CO2 is plant food with a mild warming effect. The best estimate I have seen is that doubling atmospheric CO2 from 400ppm to 800ppm would raise average temperatures by 0.37 degrees Celsius and increase average plant growth by 41%. It turns out that burning fossil fuels is a fortuitous recycling program, and instead of carbon taxes we'd be better off with carbon subsidies.

Here's a link so you can educate yourself. [en.wikipedia.org]

You just keep believing that pseudoscience.

You mean you don't believe in photosynthesis? Absurd.

Carbon dioxide is a byproduct, not a food. "Carbon dioxide is released from the body when organisms breathe out, or exhale. Plants need carbon dioxide to make their own food, and they release oxygen in the process. Oxygen is also found in the air. Organisms like plants and green algae make their own food.
CARBON DIOXIDE AND OXYGEN CYCLE"

If your hypothesis was true, data would support it. The absorption of CO2 by the oceans and forests of the planet has been unable to adequately sequester the overabundance caused by human activity for quite some time now. This is exacerbated by the unabated destruction and clearcutting of world's rainforests... we are destroying the very mechanisms that are in place to help the ecology stabilize in the ways you suggest. You are correct that things should more or less balance out under normal conditions... without human industry 780 gigatons of CO2 are produced every year by various organic and inorganic processes and 780 gigatons are absorbed by the oceans and forests. That isn't what is happening presently, thanks to human activity, we are left with an additional 20 gigatons still hanging out at the end of each cycle... feeding back into the system in what we call a "positive feedback loop". The whole reason we are having this discussion is because things are not working the way they "normally" do. Anthropogenic Climate Change wasn't just "invented" from thin air... it was a way to explain data which was not conforming to historic models. You are really underestimating the education and breadth of knowledge of the folks who study this stuff for a living. Do you really think that climate scientists don't take into the account the fact that plants absorb CO2? I mean... good for you, knowing a little bit of science. Keep going.... keep going...

One more thing I would add... is that I do believe that the ecology's ability to recover is higher than a lot of people imagine it to be, precisely for the reasons you describe. Forests were unimaginably robust during the carboniferous period... From what I understand, coal is the remains of the hummus accumulated on the floors of those giant forests! So I do feel the ecology will bounce back strong if we give it a chance. We may have a fever for a minute, but I think we can kick the sickness. For me, it's better if we could not stigmatize things and just look at it as course correction. Humans aren't shitty because we didn't know any better... we are just trying to get an idea of what is going on, get everybody on the same page, and do something about it.

Sadly, people make money off denying the problem. The corporations who are behind thsi are only interested in profits and believe themselve invulunerable to the effects. Corporatins are people, but insane people who are never held accountable. Thanks for that Republicans - corporations are people and money is speech. Great job!

jeffy Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

It is amaziong what they do with their money. The amount they spend fighting taxes and regulations plus the fines they pay would probably be less than making the changes required for clean water ,air and land.

@Marine but that all pales because of the power and future income due to keeping people ignorant.

Probably because we'll all be dead before climate change starts taking human lives.

I think it is taking lives already - unusual floods in Europe, The hurricane that dumped all the rain and flooded Houston. Adding extra water vapor to the atmosphere from melting the poles is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Starts taking human lives? Do you even pay attention to the news and weather-related calamities?

@Angelface Who has died as a direct result of climate change? Please enlighten me.

@jeffy So, every hurricane is caused by climate change?

@The_Antichrist A hurricane's strength and destructiveness is a function of sea water temperatures - these are rising and consequentially storms hurricanes and typhoons are becoming stronger and follow abnormal paths. Hurricane Harvey over Houston and Hurricane Sandy over New York City are examples. Both followed anomalous paths and did great damage and caused deaths.

@jeffy thank you for answering me. The reality is glaciers are melting, and sea ice is disappearing and ocean currents haven't been this sluggish, scientists have found, in a thousand years. Scientists have found that the Atlantic current that helps regulate the global climate has reached a thousand year low.
These changes could mean more extreme weather across the Northern Hemisphere as well as increased sea levels along the US East coast. Many Carribean Islands see multiple threats in sea erosion, rising water levels, and more violent storms. Everything that scientists tried to bring up in the eighties and nineties about Arctic warming and was ignored and decried by petroleum industry lobbyists is now a fact. Climate change is no longer a political theory.
A newly discovered significant current found, dubbed the Southwest Madagascar Coastal Current could help researchers better predict the effects of climate change, said researchers involved.

It seems that the republicans think that the whole world is conspiring against them for climate change, health care,education,clean water,air and land and to take their money. In the case of the first item climate change they have the gall to say 97 or 98% of the scientists are wrong.The other 2-3% are those scientists hired by the oil,gas,mining, and chemical companies whose jobs depend on the false information they put out. How can the public let them get away with such nonsense?

The public let them get away with it because well, what can we do about it? Vote?

Our votes are getting more and more worthless as time goes by.
The cards are stacked against us getting what we want out of our "representatives."

There is so much behind the scenes, backdoor bullshit going on in politics at all levels of government and it is so entrenched I don't know if it could even operate if it were to be run honestly.

Look at what we had to do to break free of England's rule. Is that what it will need to come to?

Our own government has taken so much power over us through fear and intimidation that we have virtually zero chance of getting it back.

Yea, yea, I know... Cynical much? ?

@Paul628 the need to stand up and not sit back! Demand transparency. Vote not only with ballots but with our pocketbooks and with our voices. Make a great noise and become not just part of the problem, but part of the solution! It is those naysayers that industry lobbyists and politicans depend on.

@Angelface What if they don't care how much we bitch and moan?

They already lie to us nearly everytime they open their mouths, they know we're on to them and they don't care.

How will our pocketbooks hurt them?
Can we organize a national strike and refuse to pay taxes until we get what we want?
We can't even agree on minimum wages.

I agree we should continue to try, I'm simply afraid it won't be enough because again, they do not care, or there aren't enough that do care to make any real changes since they are so outnumbered.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.